German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might have sees my other threads on here trying to choose a pup and a breeder but I thought this needed its own thread so here is the story:
We visited the breeder yesterday and we loved everything about her and her dogs, but after we left my wife threw this bomb at me: I dont know if I could handle this smell.
Now, I have allergies this time of year so I could not smell anything even if that dog pooped on my shoes. We both had dogs before and yes, there is some sort of dog smell and you cannot help it but according to her it was very bad inside this lady's house.
I told her that its most likely because there is not just one dog there but quite a few that go through. some of them are in the kennels outside so that may add to it. there was a lot of taxidermy displayed inside and that all of it could contribute, but now she is not 100% convinced.
I was totally
off at her fist but since have cooled off and we will have to sort it out.
In the meantime I want to know whether GSDs actually smell worse than other dogs. My aunt used to have one and I dont remember her house being smelly, my boxer had some odor but nothing that would be considered bad, and the mutt my wife used to have did not bother her either.
Once we get a pup we are planning on feeding him/her RAW diet and I hear that will give us a less smelly dog anyway. We could give him/her baths more often (once a month or 2) but I know you are not supposed to do that too often. or is it Ok as long as you use soap/shampoo that will not strip the oils off their skin.
I read about wipes and other stuff to "deodorize" your dog but I dont know if that is a good thing since dogs may hate to smell anything but their natural scent.
she couldnt even describe to me what that smell was exactly but it sounds like it was an intensified "garden variety" dog smell.
Since we hadnt had a dog in a while maybe she simply forgot how it was. I know that even if the dog did smell a bit we would get used to it but I think her biggest fear is that our visitors would not like the "stink". We have friends who I hate to visit because they smoke inside sometimes and it bothers me so I sort of know where she is comming from if it really is that bad.

What do you think?

PS.
if Mods think I posted in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
None of my three GSDs smell.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I haven't noticed a doggie smell stronger than others when they were on kibble, now that she's on raw I notice nothing but can SURE smell other dogs now!! Sometimes after they've been outside on a hot day for a while I can smell a little doggie odor, but it goes away.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would never think that the "smell" part may be a problem but it popped up and I need to address it. Could have been something specific in the woman's house that smelled and not necessarily the dogs but I could not cofirm it one way or the other myself.

Rosa, do you do anything specific to make sure they dont smell or its just the way it is?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have two GSD's, and neither of them smell, the only time I smell anything is if they are having a bout of bad gas then they are a bit smelly, ha ha!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I only notice a smell when Dante's wet - Love that wet doggie odor
not!

Dante's on high quality kibble.

Oh and when my mom visited recently I asked her when she first walked in my house and she said she didn't smell anything.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A healthy dog should not have an offensive smell unless it rolled in something gross. Both of my GSDs smell fresh, I use them as pillows all the time.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
What does she feed the dogs? Dogs on crappy foods (pedigree/etc) tend to have more of a smell since their bodies excrete the byproducts through oils in their skin.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There you go Barb.
Maybe even better way to test it out is with the mother in law but your own mom usually is good enough. LOL

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She told me she fed combination of kibble and some raw. she gave me the name of the food she uses and she claimed it was high quality but for the life of me I cannot remember now what it is.

it was my first argument with my wife that RAW or good quality food will help with this "issue".

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I feed raw and I have to say my dogs smell pretty good (and I don't bath them unless they decided to give themselves a mud bath on their own).

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Originally Posted By: smykeI would never think that the "smell" part may be a problem but it popped up and I need to address it. Could have been something specific in the woman's house that smelled and not necessarily the dogs but I could not cofirm it one way or the other myself.

Rosa, do you do anything specific to make sure they dont smell or its just the way it is?
Sorry for being so quick with my first post...my phone was ringing at work... I'm glad that your addressing this issue now because for some this would be a huge issue. I use to have a GSD that stunk to the point I would want to wash my hands everytime I petted her. I'd bathe her but she still smelled. This was many many years ago and I can only think that #1 I got a dog that tended to be on the smelly side, and #2. I fed the dog grocery store dog food-I didn't know better then.

All of my three are plush long coats. I use to think they were odor free because they don't have the standard stock coats, but I've since met many GSDs that don't have an odor. I think a lot has to do with their enviorment (being an indoor dog is important) and the quality of food they are given. I don't feed RAW but I do feed Merrick and thats one of the better foods.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
From what I've noticed, bad food has a serious impact on smell even being given lots of tablescraps or just bad kibble. Dogs that are outside a lot(such as in outdoor kennels or just kept in the backyard) smell more, especially if put inside. It's pretty easy to pick an outside dog out of a group from the smell. My two don't smell normally, but after a long hike they do tend to smell a little bit for an hour or two but nothing horrible. And of course if they're wet they'll have more odor. Some dogs smell from health problems - allergies, staph or yeast infections.
Of course these are all things you get used to after a while and don't notice much if at all.

Maybe you should try to visit someone who has just one or two indoor GSDs and see how their house smells?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: shilohsmom
...my phone was ringing at work...
don't you just hate when they dare to interrupt? LOL

I'm glad to hear that its usually the crappy food or being more of an outside dog that causes that issue. neither one should apply to us.

I know Steffanie that would be a good test, but then again some people's houses "smell" even with no animals inside.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I have found that regardless of the breed of dog, diet does make a difference in how they smell. I feed raw and don't have a smell.

I have been over to SchH friends' house who may own several German Shepherds, all raw fed, no smell at all.

I know that in another thread you were asking about frequency of bathing - a bath every two or three months I think is not excessive - every week, yes, but a few times a year won't be a problem, and it should help with your worries about having a smelly dog.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, that other thread I found while researching this whole thing and someone said they bathe their dog once a week. I knew that was much, but once a month I will have no problem with if it comes to it.
Boxer I had we used to bathe twice a year (unless she hunted down a skunk) and never had that problem even though we didnt know any better and fed her pedigree crap. on another hand once you have a dog you get used to it and then dont smell it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I just saw your other post about visiting the breeder - Royal Canin isn't that high a quality food - lots of grains.

I'm pretty sure that if you stuck to a raw diet, or a VERY high quality kibble, smell won't be an issue.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts