German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This qn may sound weird, but it's genuine.

Today I heard from someone (whose English can be a bit hard to understand at times so I may have misunderstood) that she saw an xray of a GSD, and the GSD's intestines(?) looked different from other dogs' xrays. (She works at a vet).

She says this accounts for the GSD's sensitive stomach compared to other dogs.

Also, that there was a diff between W German GSD and E German GSD line's stomachs.

Now, if we're talking bone structure I can understand a bit, because maybe it's like how show dogs may have slightly sloping backs. But she was talking about intestines and sensitive stomachs here.

Anyone knows if this is a fact?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
German shepherds in general do have a shorter digestive track compared to their size and does contribute to their digestive challenge.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I never heard that structurally their stomachs were different. But I DO know that they tend to have more sensitive systems and changes in diet, different foods, stress, etc. can all lead to quicker issues (diarrhea?) then other breeds.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've heard their stomachs are different too, that's why I was worried about food when I got Eko. I heard that you need to be extra careful with their food because of it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have never heard that they have different intestines from other breeds. They do seem prone to food allergies and like any other deep chested breed they can bloat.
Sheilah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts