German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in Misc dog sports, but apparently no one ever goes there. LOL. So I thought I'd try again in an area with more traffic:
My GSD is barely a year old. I'm going sand camping at the lake in august and would like to take her with me, but I'm not sure if German Shepherds even like to swim? It will be hot, but we'll be right on the water, and she'll have endless opportunities to cool off exect for being crated at night.
HOW ABOUT YOU? EVER TAKEN YOUR GSD BEACH CAMPING? DO THEY LIKE TO SWIM? We don't live near water, so I've never had a chance to see if she wants to swim or not! She's a long coat if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Both of mine love the water and I have a hard time getting my long coated GSD to get out of the water. If this is your dog's first experience with water be sure to monitor her swimming and playing.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I haven't taken any of mine to the gulf in a long time. I have an inground pool. Oxana will dive into and under the water for toys. Grace likes swimming. Hardy isn't too big on the getting in part, but likes to whine from the sides lines and swim once he's dragged in, lol. Jade, not on your life. Jake's only been in once so far. Have to do it when DH isn't at home as he complains about the hair in the filter, lol

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Jax sure does! I have a hard time getting her out of the water. I usually have to walk away, with her toy, and she'll follow me.

She needed another dog to teach her though.

And she still tries to run on the surface of the water.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts

It all depends on the dog. Mauser didn't like water at first. I took him to a small river with a shallow area and he learned to play. Then we hit the beach at Lake Michigan and he was unsure about the waves. Took a bit of persuading (and his favorite thing - a stick) and now he's a pro!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Lauri, This is a bit off topic but do the Canadian Geese ever come after your dog?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I exposed my last GSD to a pool when he was 8 weeks old. He swam nearly weekly for almost all of his life. He was a naturally strong swimmer. He LOVED it!! (He also taught himself to jump off the edge in the deep end when he got a bit older. A GSD dock dog!).

But for other dogs, it might take socialization. I put all of my pups into the water when they're young. My beagle pup also took to the water very quickly. When we got to the beach the first time, I walked in with Campeche, the GSD. A wave came up and I turned to see my tiny beagle pup swimming furiously to keep up with us (she was on a long line that my husband was holding on to). We go camping on the water often, and the dogs love it.

If your dog has never been swimming, I'd recommend -- at the very least -- using a harness and a long line for safety.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Not yet. They give us a very wide berth whenever the dogs start to get close.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i think they do. there is nothing in the water here. kimba runs and jumps off the highest part of the bank, swims around, gets out, runs up the hill and repeats

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Anna loves water...all I have to say is the word "creek" and she's at the door! I was just telling hubby the other day while we were at the creek it's amazing how much GSDs love water! We're planning a beach trip for Sept for us and the pups!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Both my dogs swim. Lancer started when he was 3 and half months. It can be a challenge to keep them away from a body of water if it's within sniffing distance!

At a lake

In the ocean

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think so!

Do you think my drool is sexy??

·
Registered
365 Posts
yeah i had mine in the pool for the 1st time a couple weeks ago and he was fine see my post under pictures titled Duke Vom Rohaus new photos ..the video is thier also as a picture link ...most as a general rule love it ..in open bodies of water i would use a harness and along leash(25 to 30 ft) at first...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts