German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a miniature dashchund and will be bringing home a German Shepherd puppy soon, do gsd generally get along well with other dogs? (Just curious) :help:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Of course they do. It's the responsibility of the owner to socialize the pup so that when he/she is a lot bigger they won't be aggressive towards other dogs. My 5 month old used to bark like crazy when I brought him around other dogs when he was younger. It will take time and just be patient.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Thank you! I just was curious and wanted to make sure, and in no time he will be WAY bigger then my miniature dashchund! lol

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Jonas has a play friend across the street that is a dachshund. They get along quite well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
One of my GSD's favorite playmates is a dachshund.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think it's easier for a puppy to get along with an existing dog in the household IF that existing dog is excepting of a new puppy.

Most of my adult german shepherds really didn't care for "strange" dogs, were fine with their circle of doggie friends and ones they lived / grew up with.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My 4 year old GSD has never met a dog he didn't like. He gets along with all dogs, big and small, male and female, dominant or submissive. He also lets dogs into the house that he has never met. He's great for socialization with shy, fearful puppies too.

·
Registered
874 Posts
this makes me sad. I need casear to come visit. our schipperke ( 7 years old) will have NOTHING to do with Roxy. It's good my son and him actually reside in the lower level of our house and they really don't need to see each other. Roxy wants to be friends but Buddy will have NO part of it. He wasn't socialized as a puppy and he's just kind of a little booger.

Roxy started puppy classes last week and liked all the dogs..except for the 2 ankle biters..and none of the dogs in class cared for them..all they did was that gnarly little yapping. Her favorite ( other than finding her brother in class which was a BIG surprise)...she took to a mastiff. Both females but I think they could be BFF's in class.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My female loves everything, but favors small dogs. My new 1 year old male walked into my house and loves my dogs, but is reactive(excitement reactivity) with other dogs(working on that daily).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts