German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day in the future I'm considering fostering another GS. Ruby is such a love bug to us and gets along with other nice dogs, that I don't think it will be an issue if properly introduced. What I do worry about is whether it is stressful to the dog who is the permanent resident to bond with the foster and consider them a pack member, and then to have them simply disappear one day??

For those of you have done this? How do your dogs fair?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I've been fostering/rehoming on my own for a while now. Both my girls, DaKota (GSD) & Glitzie (Pug) are great with the other dogs.
They seem to be fine with the others leaving. Maybe they know that there will be another coming again after a month or two.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Keep in mind I am just guessing here, but I would think that it would be easier if the foster home had at least 2 dogs of their own.

Meaning if you only have 1 dog, and a foster, your dog would probably miss the foster more when it leaves. Where as if you had 2 dogs of your own, when fosters leave, your dogs STILL have eachother.

I have had additional dogs here for a while and my 2 older dogs wouldn't have cared less when they let. In fact I think they were GLAD.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
It depends so much on the dog. For example, the last Shepherd I fostering was adopted last weekend. This dog loved everything on earth, and I am certain will have no problems adjusting to his new home.

The one before that, a dog named Paris, was five years old, and very shy and timid. I decided to adopt her. Figured she had been kicked around enough.

So now I have two forever dogs, and am ready for another foster.
As a foster I do think it helps to have another dog in the house. The new foster might be aggressive toward a permanent dog, or vice-versa, but they adjust and it is fun to see they play.

As for stress, I think it is more stressful for us fosters, to let a dog go. My dogs have plenty of playmates, and if a foster leaves that does not seem to bother them. However, it does bother me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sometimes our dogs seem to notice - and sometimes they don't. Roxy is usually glad to see them go. Usually she seems disappointed if I take a foster somewhere on an errand or to class and they come back home. I get the, "I thought that one was leaving for good" look. Ward seems to miss more of them, usually the fiesty girls that love to play. Chance mourned for one of my all time favorites for days, I missed him too, but we didn't have too much time to feel bad because another guest was waiting.

I did have one long-term foster that did become part of our pack and I noticed that Chance & Roxy looked for her. Roxy would stand on the sidewalk and bark in each direction like she was calling Xena to come home. The adopters were great, but their toddler developed severe allergies and after several months of trying many different strategies they made the decision to return Zee-zee. When I brought her into the house it seemed like Roxy gave Xena a 10 minute lecture for not calling to let us know where she was for the last 3 months!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Definitely depends on the dog. I've had a few that if I let her, Sheba would have opened the front door and shown them the way out, and then locked the door behind them.

Others, even the one who was here for 4 1/2 months, she didn't even notice when he was gone.

Then there was Jax who I only had for 1 1/2 weeks, and she looked and looked for him after I came home without him. She never played with him while he was here, but missed him when he left.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the input. Knowing Ruby, it sounds like she would do better with the fostering if we had another permanent dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts