German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group, I have another active post but this is a different question about which sex to get? I have a great pyreneese female who is four years old. From your experience what are the issues of adding a female vs male to our house hold? I had been looking for a male but just wanted your take on how two females would get along or there will automatically be issues. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's not a guarantee that you will have issues but two females have a higher likelihood of having issues at some point down the line. Some girls get along just fine but if they don't, it's going to be higher intensity dislike for each other. Especially with breeds that tend to be same-sex aggressive anyways.

I have three girls right now and it's a constant juggling act to keep them from killing each other. I will never do two girls again...

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
It's not a guarantee that you will have issues but two females have a higher likelihood of having issues at some point down the line. Some girls get along just fine but if they don't, it's going to be higher intensity dislike for each other. Especially with breeds that tend to be same-sex aggressive anyways.

I have three girls right now and it's a constant juggling act to keep them from killing each other. I will never do two girls again...
I agree. Seek a male. It's too hard to fix and too easy to prevent, same-sex issues (should they arise).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I agree. Seek a male. It's too hard to fix and too easy to prevent, same-sex issues (should they arise).
Way too easy to prevent! I am envious sometimes of people getting a second dog and being able to choose to not have two females :eek: Oh well... lesson learned the hard way I guess.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Females fight to drive each other out, males fight for hierarchy. (remember Middle School?)
I have a tiny little female who would never allow another female in "her" pack or if I were to try, it would require tons of management.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Group thank you very much for your input. Unfortionately from my posting time until the time I got my first answer I located a breeder I think is awesome. The possible bad news is they had only two females left. I raised my concern with the breeder about two females in the family and the breeder thought it would work out fine. Just as long as I show my great pyreneese lots of love while introducing the new puppy to the family. My current family dog is the most pleasant personality of any dog I have ever owned. While on the phone with the breeder and learning about the new puppys family history it was hard to not respect the puppy family tree as well as knowing I have a great breader. I pulled the trigger on the puppy although it is a female and we will pick it up tonight. Hopefully my future will not be full of female doggy drama.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Group thank you very much for your input. Unfortionately from my posting time until the time I got my first answer I located a breeder I think is awesome. The possible bad news is they had only two females left. I raised my concern with the breeder about two females in the family and the breeder thought it would work out fine. Just as long as I show my great pyreneese lots of love while introducing the new puppy to the family. My current family dog is the most pleasant personality of any dog I have ever owned. While on the phone with the breeder and learning about the new puppys family history it was hard to not respect the puppy family tree as well as knowing I have a great breeder. I pulled the trigger on the puppy although it is a female and we will pick it up tonight. Hopefully my future will not be full of female doggy drama.
Did you meet the breeder and the dogs in person or just on the phone? In case of the latter I worry about your instant decision and the breeder saying that it would work out fine. Has he/she met your Pyrenese or just want to sell the pups? Did you check references? Is the breeder willing to take the pup back in case it doesn't work? Lots of love to your Pyrenese is not all you will need. But ... you can be lucky and have things work fine.
:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Great Pyrenees are notoriously dog-aggressive, especially with the same sex. If you like this breeder, please wait until they have a male available. The two girls may get along while the pup is young, but once she reaches maturity, you may see stress and strife, which may lead to bloody battles. Females are especially bad in this respect--while males can sort out pack order and be done with it, females will kill each other.

If you insist on keeping a female Pyr and a female GSD in the same household, make sure both are spayed, and don't wait until 18 months to do it. Make sure both dogs respect and obey you. Don't ever make them compete for your attention or affection, and always separate them when you are gone. If they start fighting, you will have to keep them separated ALL the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
two females

I only talked on the phone so far, I will meet the puppy's parents this evening when I pick up the pup. They did say they would guarantee against any hip problems. I didn't ask them specifically about returning the pup if it didn't work out with my dog. But "I would think" it would be months down the road before a dislike for each other would pop up. My Pyrenees is only half and the other half Australian shepherd.

What is the earliest you can safely fix a female pup? My Pyrenees has been fixed since she was young. I have a cat and when she is around me and the dog. I always give equal treatment to both, and they seem very happy. But that is a cat and dog.

While I was waiting on an answer from the forum. I sent a message to the breeder about what was available. I looked elsewhere on the internet and got different opinions and many said they can get along. I went with that information and ordered the pup. Then came back here and there are so many don't do it's I am really nervous at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
the majority of dogs I've had have been multiple males. However, when I had my first female gsd, I got a female aussie puppy. My aussie is a big marshmellow, would never hurt a bug:) My gsd at the time was the "queen bee", She was constanly 'monitoring' my aussie which wasn't her job it was mine:)

We had a few scuffles, but nothing with blood involved, and it was never the aussie that started it...That gsd has passed on, and when my aussie was 8 years old I got Masi (female gsd)..Honestly they get along great. Masi isn't a 'crap' stirrer and doesn't feel the need to monitor anyone other than me:)

So 4 years later, the aussie is almost 13 (and still a wild child) Masi is 4. Again , they both get along with each fine.

So a couple of females CAN work out just fine, you just have to have complimenting temperaments.

For example, if your current dog is a pushy, wanna take charge kinda girl, I would NOT want another female with that same attitude. THAT's when trouble starts..If you've got a go with the flow "marshmellow" (like my aussie),,a pushier dog may be ok, but having a couple of go with the flow types will get along better IMHO.

It sounds like you've made up your mind, puppies are hard to resist..If I were you, I would ask the breeder which female would better suit/get along with the type of temperament you have NOW in your girl.

Hopefully they are a breeder than can match you well with a dog that will fit into your lifestyle.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
What is the earliest you can safely fix a female pup?
about 6-8 months. Some vets will do it earlier, but there's no real benefit to doing it any earlier than 6 months for a large breed.

I looked elsewhere on the internet and got different opinions and many said they can get along. I went with that information and ordered the pup. Then came back here and there are so many don't do it's I am really nervous at the moment.
You should be! Aside from the same-sex issue, I am not sure you are buying a pup from the right person. No hip guarantee? What do you mean by "ordered" the pup... like through a website? Have you even seen the pup yet? Met the parents? You want to do all that stuff before any money changes hands, and there should be a hip/health guarantee of some kind. Where did you find this breeder?

Some females dogs get along with each other and some don't. If you have a strong, dominant, bossy female (most Pyrs are that way with other dogs, as are many GSDs and Aussies), you will need a very submissive, mellow, easygoing female to go with her. Two strong, dominant, bossy females are a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
637 Posts
any byb breeder will tell you same sex will get along so you spend your money on their pup.... i had 2 females once, ONCE and NEVER again... they got along fine until the 2nd female matured, then it was all out hatred. both were spayed. its not worth the chance to take , as i bet your "breeder" wont take the pup back once it matures if it doesnt work out..... you honestly should be taking your TIME getting a 2nd dog.... and not buying one spur of the moment... do more research, check out breeders that are reputable, and then go from there. a dog is a 15 year commitment, and if you get a dog that doesnt get along with your female pyr you will have 15 years of rotating dogs to keep the piece.. the more time you take to look into a 2nd dog the better you will be.. and you should look at adult dogs, as what you see is what you get- temperment is set as an adult, and there are no surprises. a pup can be fine with your dog and then when it matures it might not be.. if you want a true match then A. go for Male dog and B. think about an adult dog with its temperment already set so that you can see how the 2 dogs get along.. AND TAKE YOUR TIME DONT RUSH IT

·
Registered
637 Posts
i also had 2 males and a female, all got along, recently i had 2 females and a male, (one female is 2 and the other was 16 ) they got along fine but i had to keep the old girl separate when i wasnt home as she was fragile, i wasnt worried about same sex aggression as she got along with every female she met, and both mine were fine with each other this go round. its a crap shoot, you just have to be careful

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great pyrenees

My current dog is the friendliest dog I truely have ever seen. I have had her about 4 years and she is a teddy bear. On walks or where ever she goes she is always good. I swear there is not a bad bone in her body.

She is the only dog I have ever had that I would totally trust with the kids playing with no monitoring. She is very inergetic and loves to run and play but alway with a smile.

If I said no hip guarantee, I was way wrong. The breeder will gladfully take it back if I ever had hip trouble. They want me to be happy with our new addition. The breeder ordered the mother directly from Germany and she was what he called "I believe" a v rating and he said only 10% get that rating in germany.

If I scrbbled my notes correctly the pups mother is the daughter of a world champ.. Sorry can't go into details at the moment because that is all I scribbled down.

I believe the breeder said the father won two world awards of some sort in 2006 and 2008 for obedience. As far as the breeder new he had the only v rated dog in colorado.

He also mention that 16 of the pups he has bread have went on to become award winning dogs. I am not 100% on the details but I was highly impressed after talking with him and his wife.

I will learn more tonight when I pick up the pup and find out where he said I can go to learn more about its pedigree.

My exact facts could be off with members of the pup chain, but I guess the point is there is a long line of winners in the pups family tree.

He said when he started he looked for the best dogs to start breeding for temperment and didn't breed for the prettiest dog, even though they are beautiful but he bred obedience.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
My current dog is the friendliest dog I truely have ever seen. I have had her about 4 years and she is a teddy bear. On walks or where ever she goes she is always good. I swear there is not a bad bone in her body.

She is the only dog I have ever had that I would totally trust with the kids playing with no monitoring. She is very inergetic and loves to run and play but alway with a smile.
That's all well and good, but how is she with other dogs that come onto her home territory?

As to the breeder... sounds like they imported some titled, V-rated dogs from Germany and are breeding them. A lot of people do that, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are great breeders. What is the breeder's kennel name and how did you find them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bet you guys hate talking to amatures. "ME". I learend in college the only stupid question is the one not ask.

These people are so nice, I am so happy with there service. I contacted them after all the no no no's I got here about having two females. They are going to mark me down for a male in next litter. Their new litter is currently 1 week old. So in 7 weeks we will be gitting a male and all will be good. I am sooooo excited. I didn't realize what a mess two females could cause.

I have only had one pup at a time in my 47 years. This forum has helped steer me away from the pup I was going to get yesterday and also educated me on female/female doggie relationships and the hip troubles dog owners face.

I can not say enough good about these folks, they are just plain nice people. I am expecting a wonderful pup from them and am no longer looking for any other. I hope they don't mind me giving there name but the link I found them at is.
German Shepherd Puppies For Sale (Full AKC Registration) | Colorado Springs | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 23457346

and

their name is Alpenmac-German-Shepherds

My doggie chase is over and I am thrilled to have found these people. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Looks like they've only been breeding for two years, and in that time, they've produced 7 litters. They advertise their litters on eBay, and I cannot find pedigrees posted anywhere.

I don't know the breeder in question, so I will have to withold judgment, but the things above raise red flags for me. I am sure they are very nice people, but again, it doesn't necessarily make them great breeders.

I am glad you decided to get a male pup instead of a female.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.