German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Can you elaborate on your exact procedure? I do have her in a Great Dane crate. It is gigantic. Big enough for a human to sleep in. However lately I have been giving her an entire bedroom to play in when I leave. I'll have to get a smaller crate.
My male would freak out when we left, and we had him in a crate large enough for him to completely spread out and relax. What we found was he would go to one area of the crate and potty, then try and sleep in the other. It also got to the point where even in a smaller crate, he’d just stand up and pee.

So we gave him very restricted water access at night. Throughout the day while we were home he could drink as much as he wanted, but then we’d take him out every 30-40 minutes. After about 7-8 PM, he received no water whatsoever, and we started taking him out 1-2 times in the night. This is more crate/potty training than anxiety though.

For his anxiety, we covered his crate and made sure to use an airline crate so he felt safe. We’ve found that the dogs don’t like the wire crates and don’t go into them to rest, whereas the airline crates they all walk into and relax out of personal choice. We played TV episodes loud enough so he couldn’t hear us leave, about 10 minutes before so it didn’t perfectly coincide with us going.

Over time he gradually became accustomed to the crate and the potty accidents stopped, as did his total freak outs. He still is a crate crier every now and then, but it’s a night and day different from before.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My male would freak out when we left, and we had him in a crate large enough for him to completely spread out and relax. What we found was he would go to one area of the crate and potty, then try and sleep in the other. It also got to the point where even in a smaller crate, he’d just stand up and pee.

So we gave him very restricted water access at night. Throughout the day while we were home he could drink as much as he wanted, but then we’d take him out every 30-40 minutes. After about 7-8 PM, he received no water whatsoever, and we started taking him out 1-2 times in the night. This is more crate/potty training than anxiety though.

For his anxiety, we covered his crate and made sure to use an airline crate so he felt safe. We’ve found that the dogs don’t like the wire crates and don’t go into them to rest, whereas the airline crates they all walk into and relax out of personal choice. We played TV episodes loud enough so he couldn’t hear us leave, about 10 minutes before so it didn’t perfectly coincide with us going.

Over time he gradually became accustomed to the crate and the potty accidents stopped, as did his total freak outs. He still is a crate crier every now and then, but it’s a night and day different from before.

Thank you so much! All great advice.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
No, she doesn't have accidents when I am home. However sometimes if I take her outside before I leave the house, she will pace around and not use the restroom. I have to give up and then put her back inside and when I come home less than an hour later, she will have relieved herself somewhere inside the house. This has happened even when I crated her

I was thinking instead of letting her take her time to use the restroom instead to take her to a specific place in my yard and train her to go there (reward with treat after she is done).

???Another Question???

About how times a day do y'all take your dogs out to relieve themselves. Right now I take her out about 3 times a day just in my backyard. Should I take her out more?
DO you have a yard? I had similar problems with my rescue GSD. She seemed to have anxiety about going when I was standing there watching. She would only go a) when I took her on a walk or b) when I left her outside on her own, nobody watching. When I walked her, I'd say "go potty" when she looked like she was about to go, then click and treat. When I'd leave her out back, I'd hide inside and watch for her and as soon as she peed, I'd quietly open the door, click, and treat.

She doesn't have an issue with it anymore.
Maybe this will help both of you, although I believe @banzai555 has solved the problem. Most of my females seemed to prefer privacy. And a clean yard. Sabi used the corner of the yard furthest from the door and disliked people watching. Shadow did the same, until I started moving around. She will not relieve herself if there is a lot going on or if people she does not know are "watching". I learned to take her to quiet spots, or at least spots that were out of the way and encouraged her by giving her potty command.
OP give your girl a specific spot to go in and reward her when she does. Avoid taking her out when she knows you are leaving, that throws Shadow off as well.
I do think this sounds a lot like a house training issue but remember that your moods are easy to transmit to her, so if you are edgy to get going she will feel it. Potty breaks should be devoid of any anxiety or rushing which is why teaching a command is helpful for those times when you need them to go right now. For now take her out and just relax and let her do what she does.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I have a female staying with me to be bred right now, and she seems to want to hold it forever. However, with enough prompting she will go outside fairly quickly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks again. Tried taking her off-leash and telling her to go the bathroom really made her go very quickly. I always walked next to her on a leash and coincidentally sometimes she would look up at me like she wanted some privacy and would not go potty. Hopefully this off-leashing will fix it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You ask Lex “You want to go pee?” It’s like magic- she’ll go every time. Of course I don’t do it every hour. Being reasonable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 8 year old female still will hold it.. But if I take her for a short walk even 4 hours from mine the stimulation of the walk makes ALL dogs go. GS need exercise a lot. If my daughter takes he outside in back yard she will go. My daughter is the dogs favorite. It takes awhile if I do same with her. I’ve even put a long rain coat on over my PJ’s walked her down the block a bit and BAM she goes. That breed need exercise, I’m on my 5th GS had them all my life. I wouldn’t do the crate thing. I’d walk her first.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My 8 year old female still will hold it.. But if I take her for a short walk even 4 hours from mine the stimulation of the walk makes ALL dogs go. GS need exercise a lot. If my daughter takes he outside in back yard she will go. My daughter is the dogs favorite. It takes awhile if I do same with her. I’ve even put a long rain coat on over my PJ’s walked her down the block a bit and BAM she goes. That breed need exercise, I’m on my 5th GS had them all my life. I wouldn’t do the crate thing. I’d walk her first.
I kind of agree with Jill. Walking down the block works much better than letting mine loose in the backyard. When he's in the backyard, it's like he's on patrol or something. Mine tends to not like to pee on his own territory and besides, I like my backyard..."clean." I've also taught mine to pee on command. When I say, "tinkle," he starts looking for a spot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So much depends on the dog. I think males are more finicky about their "stuff." Billy Bob went outside but sometimes it was on the doorstep or the middle of the sidewalk. Jake would only go in the woods, he liked his privacy. Max I had to shovel the snow for a clear spot of grass. Ellie was asserting her dominance in the house. Lucky and Buck were just happy go lucky guys who would go in the yard whenever. Elke I have to look away. We do have a schedule - when we get up, after lunch, 3 o'clock play time, after dinner walk and before bed. Duke has gotten the idea but we still have to spend time walking him around and he only goes for my husband. It's a 'guy thing" I guess. Every dog is different, you just have to figure them out. Took us forever to figure out Jake had to be let off his leash so he could go into the woods but once we did, he was housebroken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely sounds like a house breaking problem. My female takes awhile to choose that "perfect" spot outside, but she never goes potty inside. The only time she did was when both my partner and I were horribly sick and didn't realize that when either of us had taken her out she hadn't pooped. She held it for the entirety of the day until she just couldn't anymore, and we felt so horrible for it. She's a morning, once a day pooper, too.

So yes, they can definitely hold in if they know not to go in the house.
Yes my female GSD one year old takes forever to find the"right spot" and is crate trained all night and when I have to go places and she holds it. I agree maybe retrain ( house break her ) her to potty outside especially at her age she can hold it until she gets back. I agree 💯 and what is being said.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts