German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a problem where I can't get my 1 and half year old, female GSD to relieve herself outside with ample time. She usually will go to the restroom sooner than later outside but sometimes she seems to hold it in. My past dogs have all been male and you could take them out and tell them to relieve themselves and they would.

This is presenting a problem because sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to get her to use the restroom outside, will run an errand and be gone for less than an hour and when I come back she will have relieved herself indoors making a mess.

Is this common and how might I fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agreed with above. A dog that is 1 and a half years old should be able to hold themselves for several hours. Either she is not housebroken or she has serious anxiety issues that would cause her to pee when you leave. Have you tried crating her when you go out? Does she ever pee inside when you are home?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Definitely sounds like a house breaking problem. My female takes awhile to choose that "perfect" spot outside, but she never goes potty inside. The only time she did was when both my partner and I were horribly sick and didn't realize that when either of us had taken her out she hadn't pooped. She held it for the entirety of the day until she just couldn't anymore, and we felt so horrible for it. She's a morning, once a day pooper, too.

So yes, they can definitely hold in if they know not to go in the house.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree with going back to the crate. I have had 5 spayed females (not gsd) and they have all been trained with a trigger word that meant go potty. They would go right away most of the time. The only time I had accidents, it turned out that she had bladder stones. She would ask to go out and it would appear that she went pee several times, but due to discomfort she wouldn't empty her bladder. Later there was sometimes an accident.
It doesn't sound like this is your issue, but you may want the vet to check her out to make sure that there isn't a UTI or something else.
If she gets a clean bill of health, then you know it's behavioural.

·
Super Moderator
6,476 Posts
yes, generally speaking, females can take longer... as males are more prone to marking behavior and going multiple times/places. however, by longer.... we’re talking seconds to a minute.

i just wanted to address that as it was your original question. as others have mentioned.... that doesn’t at all seem related to what you’re dealing with.

the only dog i’ve had hold out, was coincidently a male. anxiety and weather/surface related. it did not result in indoor accidents until his late senior years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Agreed with above. A dog that is 1 and a half years old should be able to hold themselves for several hours. Either she is not housebroken or she has serious anxiety issues that would cause her to pee when you leave. Have you tried crating her when you go out? Does she ever pee inside when you are home?
No, she doesn't have accidents when I am home. However sometimes if I take her outside before I leave the house, she will pace around and not use the restroom. I have to give up and then put her back inside and when I come home less than an hour later, she will have relieved herself somewhere inside the house. This has happened even when I crated her

I was thinking instead of letting her take her time to use the restroom instead to take her to a specific place in my yard and train her to go there (reward with treat after she is done).

???Another Question???

About how times a day do y'all take your dogs out to relieve themselves. Right now I take her out about 3 times a day just in my backyard. Should I take her out more?

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's interesting, maybe it's more to do with separation anxiety in that case. Your idea sounds good, but it might not deal with the underlying anxiety if that is also contributing to it.

I let my dog spend several hours a day outside, but she only needs to pee about 4 times a day though. Does your dog get much exercise outside of being taken outside to pee? If it's anxiety related then maybe a long walk before you go out will help her be more calm (and more time to relieve herself)? You might want to look into other ways to manage this also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
DO you have a yard? I had similar problems with my rescue GSD. She seemed to have anxiety about going when I was standing there watching. She would only go a) when I took her on a walk or b) when I left her outside on her own, nobody watching. When I walked her, I'd say "go potty" when she looked like she was about to go, then click and treat. When I'd leave her out back, I'd hide inside and watch for her and as soon as she peed, I'd quietly open the door, click, and treat.

She doesn't have an issue with it anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's anxiety related then maybe a long walk before you go out will help her be more calm (and more time to relieve herself)? You might want to look into other ways to manage this also.
Yeah lately because of the cold I haven't been taking her on long walks. I do think a bit of it is separation anxiety because she is always in the same room as I am when I am at home. I was going to put her in a separate room by herself with her toys so we both can get some alone-time.

When I walked her, I'd say "go potty" when she looked like she was about to go, then click and treat.
Exactly what mine does. I also hold her leash and walk with her but I have been thinking about using a longer leash. Sometime off-leash she dashes away from me and she thinks I am chasing her when I try to get her so she dashes away again.

·
Super Moderator
6,476 Posts
i relieve Keystone once in the morning, he gets walked when i get home from work (urinates multiple times), then once before bed.

on days that i’m sick or weather conditions prevent his evening walk.... he does fine being let out 3x

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a female and she has no problem going outside and holding it. I also have a male that is the same way. I would not think this a gender issue but a potty training / personality one.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's possible the crate you're using for this issue is simply too big for her if she thinks it's okay to relieve herself in it. It's probably also related to separation anxiety if it's only happening when you leave. My male was horrendous to crate and potty train because of his separation anxiety as a pup, but a month of keeping him in a small crate and very restricted water access (after checking out medically) was what it took for him to understand what he needed to do. He still excitement tinkles, but no potty incidents since.

·
Registered
31,873 Posts
I had a bitch that would not go if she was on leash, and then she had to find just the right spot, and then God forbid a breeze make a leaf overhead rustle. Darn, but I miss that bitch!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
No, she doesn't have accidents when I am home. However sometimes if I take her outside before I leave the house, she will pace around and not use the restroom. I have to give up and then put her back inside and when I come home less than an hour later, she will have relieved herself somewhere inside the house. This has happened even when I crated her

I was thinking instead of letting her take her time to use the restroom instead to take her to a specific place in my yard and train her to go there (reward with treat after she is done).

???Another Question???

About how times a day do y'all take your dogs out to relieve themselves. Right now I take her out about 3 times a day just in my backyard. Should I take her out more?
I suggest taking her out before you start your 'leaving the house' routine. My dog can pick I'm getting ready to go out when I start my 'leaving the house' routine, and will optimistically park himself next to his car harness. Do you take her outside before or after you get ready to leave?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've had a problem where I can't get my 1 and half year old, female GSD to relieve herself outside with ample time. She usually will go to the restroom sooner than later outside but sometimes she seems to hold it in. My past dogs have all been male and you could take them out and tell them to relieve themselves and they would.

This is presenting a problem because sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to get her to use the restroom outside, will run an errand and be gone for less than an hour and when I come back she will have relieved herself indoors making a mess.

Is this common and how might I fix this?

Thanks
It's not common, and I agree that She needs to be crated. And if the crate is huge, there's room for her to still use the bathroom and move to a different side, so make sure it isn't over-sized for now. How long has she been doing this? Since she was a puppy? It doesn't sound like she understands that the outside is the place to go.

·
Registered
434 Posts

???Another Question???

I do four times out right now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Willow has a mondo bladder. And yeah stress seems to increase their capacity to hold it...or maybe it's because they drink less water when they're stressed, I dunno. All I know is Willow would refuse to pee outside at night for the first few weeks so she'd end up holing her bladder for 17+ hours sometimes between walks.

Now that things are more or less normal and comfortable, she'll go maybe 3 times per day (morning walk, afternoon walk, and before bed). And she never has to go--never asks to go, I just put her out and she pees. So far in 5 months of having her she has never asked to go outside except once when she had diarrhea.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Willow has a mondo bladder. And yeah stress seems to increase their capacity to hold it...or maybe it's because they drink less water when they're stressed, I dunno. All I know is Willow would refuse to pee outside at night for the first few weeks so she'd end up holing her bladder for 17+ hours sometimes between walks.

Now that things are more or less normal and comfortable, she'll go maybe 3 times per day (morning walk, afternoon walk, and before bed). And she never has to go--never asks to go, I just put her out and she pees. So far in 5 months of having her she has never asked to go outside except once when she had diarrhea.
Lol, I have one that'll hold her bladder like that too, it's crazy. She's never had a problem going and loves going outside too, but she likes to sleep in and we have to get her jump started in the morning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but a month of keeping him in a small crate and very restricted water access
Can you elaborate on your exact procedure? I do have her in a Great Dane crate. It is gigantic. Big enough for a human to sleep in. However lately I have been giving her an entire bedroom to play in when I leave. I'll have to get a smaller crate.

Also I don't take her out enough times a day to use the restroom. I've been taking her out for 1 walk and out to use the restroom 2 times a day. I should up it to 5 times a day...maybe also because she is younger 1yr 3months old. She doesn't go indoors a lot but seems to wait until I leave to go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts