German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vet once told me no way. At least not the way my grandpa had a fatal heart attack.

I can understand blockage from too many adult heartworms, but other than that... Does it happen, dog heart attacks??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
yes they can. My sister came home to her German Shepherd dead in the yard. She was convinced the dog was poisoned. She had an autopsy done and they said the dog had a heart attack.

Doing a quick google search brings up a lot of information.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
They told her the dog was not poisoned.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yes dogs can have heart attacks. My uncle lost his last border collie to a heart attack.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I had a dog who who was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 5. By 9 he had congestive heart failure. When he was 10, he was laying on the ground and his heart just stopped. Died on the spot.

Not sure if that's considered a heart attack, but it was definitely his heart that killed him.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a dog who who was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 5. By 9 he had congestive heart failure. When he was 10, he was laying on the ground and his heart just stopped. Died on the spot.

Not sure if that's considered a heart attack, but it was definitely his heart that killed him.
That sounds a lot like human heart failure. And a painful loss. I am so sorry.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
"Heart Attack" is not exactly a scientific term, so it would be open to discussion. Now if the question is if dogs can have Myocardial Infarction, the answer is yes.

Heart Attack in Dogs | petMD

Other than that, all mammals die when their hearts stop and the heart of all mammals stop when they die.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Heart Attack" is not exactly a scientific term, so it would be open to discussion. Now if the question is if dogs can have Myocardial Infarction, the answer is yes.

Heart Attack in Dogs | petMD

Other than that, all mammals die when their hearts stop and the heart of all mammals stop when they die.
I agree that a dog can suffer myocardial infraction. Again, blockage due to adult heartworm infestation... What else though?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Hence the second paragraph.

There are dozens of potentially fatal heart conditions and hundreds of reasons why the heart of a dog can stop working, and if every time you call it "Heart attack" then all dogs finally die from heart attacks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But the vet said attack. Not failure. I understand failure. My question is about heart attacks.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Then again you should ask your vet what he understands by "Heart Attack".

At least if I dare to say "Heart attack" in an Internal Medicine exam I'd be kicked out of the room and reproved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts