German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering because I am staying with my mom for my last semester of college and she has a little yorkie and he is one of those dogs that's just constantly has to cuddle or be touching you in someway. My mom also allows him on the furniture etc, now I will not allow my dog on any furniture what so ever. So when we are sitting on the couch Tito the yorkie will be cuddled up next to you and my shepherd will just be sitting there like "man why can't I get on the furniture too". But there is no way I can let him he would rip holes in the couch and barely fit on it anyway. I just moved in back with my mom last week and this is the first time Dre has had to live with another dog. I hope he isn't jealous of Tito, granted I take Dre out to play more than Tito because well.. He needs it he's a shepherd! Any thoughts on this guys?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had dogs act jealous off and on over the years ...

BUT ...

I've never had one jealous over not being allowed on the furniture. Generally all the Hooligans have always been allowed on the furniture (except my bed) ... EXCEPT for BO who had serious temperament problems and had a lot of restrictions including being banned from sitting on the furniture because he'd attempt to guard it from the other Hooligans (this was the least of his problems, NILIF helped him a lot but no house rules could be bent by him).

My second exception is when I'm sitting on the couch the Hooligans are allowed to share it with me by age order (Slider ... Bruiser ... Faith) ... if Slider wants up, whoever is on it has to get off ... then if Bruiser wants up Faith has to get off!!! Might not work for everybody, but this method works for me.

Same with petting/showing affection ... if I'm petting one of the Hooligans, hugging him, whatever, the others are NEVER allowed to interfere!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dogs act jealous of each other especially when one is getting petting and the other isn't. If Emmett is in the living room being petted by my husband and angel is in the kitchen and see Emmett getting attention, she will run over there and jump on Emmett's head basically separating my husbands hand from Emmett. This usually results in a play session between Emmett and Angel. We are working with Angel on not doing this. Angel does not do this with me though so its a bit harder to work on since Hubby thinks it funny. :( Emmett will run over and nose his way in to get petted if Angel is getting petted but he isnt near as brazen about it as Angel. In our house, only the cat is allowed on the furniture. Just the way we are. The dogs have cushy fluffy huge beds to lay on and they use them daily.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Absolutely, at one time I had two GSD and an Airedale. When one of them was being rewarded with a good butt or ear scratch, the other two would pop off and perform even better. It was an awesome motivating factor for my team.

Each dog wanted to be the only one being loved on!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have two cats..1 male and 1 female. I know for sure the male cat is jealous of our dog. I've had him since he was a young kitten maybe 8 weeks old. So we grew up together.. he's about 13 now. I know deep inside he is jealous of the dog because our home is his territory and the dog is getting all the attention now. The female cat could care less... lol. :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts