German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Saturday to all

Our 7 month old GSD male, is progressing nicely through his adolescent phase, but on occasions; he takes to biting a stationary object, and makes mincemeat of it. A month ago, he stayed at a friends house that volunteer to pet sitting, in a small room that she has; and through the night, he opened a hole in the Drywall>:). Recently, he took to a wooden corner of our outside deck, and left it like termites have had their independence day celebration on it.:frown2:
He is going soon to a board and train facility, to strengthen and improve his obedience foundation; but I was wondering if those commercial substances that they sell as taste averse to dogs, could serve as an adjunct to our dissuasive efforts to this behavior.
Appreciative to your inputs in advance:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Short answer? No.
Most of my dogs have liked the taste of Bitter Apple, :laugh2:
Over the years I have tried any number of chewing deterrents and not one of them has worked. I got results ranging for no notice to they thought I was giving them a treat.

The only cure for chewing is diligence and redirection. We actually nicknamed Bud the destroyer but fortunately he was easy to redirect with toys and raw bones. My Great Dane surpassed any other dog I have ever heard of in sheer destructiveness.

A yummy stuffed kong or a nice meaty bone is invaluable and should satisfy his urges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts