German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

After everyone has mentioned that Gemini and Lucky don't look PB GSD's, we decided to do a DNA test. Our results came back with mostly GSD, and quite a lot of Malinois, along with about 4% Husky. I'm still not seeing it, though. What are your guys' opinions? Do you think they're accurate?

I mean, I think it would explain the ears a bit, because most that I've looked up have pointed ones, but still.

Here's a few pictures of Gemini and Lucky, at their current age.

Lucky:

Gemini:

They're still smaller, than both GSD's and Malinois, in my eyes. But I don't know. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I could see Mali in the face. 4% is negligible. What does it matter anyway. I have been told there is almost definitely mal in my bitch and I'm not surprised lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, it definitely doesn't matter! It's just now that it's been confirmed that they're mostly those two breeds, I'm DEFINITELY worrying about their size. Shouldn't they be much, much bigger/fuller?

·
Registered
169 Posts
How old are they? It seems a little too soon to tell by looks. I can kinda see husky in Gemini's coloring a little. It will be interesting to see how they develop with age. Which DNA test did you use?

If they look & act healthy you shouldn't stress about size/weight. Mals and huskies tend to be smaller than GSDs anyway.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We think our breeders kicked 'em out by the age of six weeks, so they're about 9 weeks now. We were told by our vet that Gemini's coloring is just shifting/changing, because that's not how it was a couple days ago! Of course, that doesn't mean it's true/etc.

We did two, actually. One from AKC and another from Wisdom Panel. They're results only varied slightly, with AKC saying they had the 4% Husky, and WP saying they had about 7 % Husky.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My Mia is pretty small for her age of GSD, but she was quite a bit smaller than them when we brought her home at 8 weeks.

They're adorable pups. :blush:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

After everyone has mentioned that Gemini and Lucky don't look PB GSD's, we decided to do a DNA test. Our results came back with mostly GSD, and quite a lot of Malinois, along with about 4% Husky. I'm still not seeing it, though. What are your guys' opinions? Do you think they're accurate?

I mean, I think it would explain the ears a bit, because most that I've looked up have pointed ones, but still.

Here's a few pictures of Gemini and Lucky, at their current age.

Lucky:

Gemini:

They're still smaller, than both GSD's and Malinois, in my eyes. But I don't know. Thoughts? Thanks guys.
The husky is pretty obvious! Especially in the black lining of the ears!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been told that they're predominantly mixed with huskies quite a bit. It's one of the reasons we did the tests. Could they be wrong? Could Husky be the bigger variable than the Malinois? Thanks for the responses, guys!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well, husky x malinois x GSD is pretty **** specific! I wouldn't worry about the actual percentages. They definitely do look like they have husky, which would also account for the small size. The coloring and foxy faces are somewhat husky. Many females are only 40-50 lbs. Beautiful puppies!

And yes, the coloring will change a lot as they get older. The distribution of eumelanin (black pigment) is controlled by the same gene that makes some pups Black and Tan and some sable. The dark parts of their fur may shift a lot.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm just stuck on one dog having all three of those breeds in them. There is potential for a couple very high energy dogs. They are cute:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to imply that the only breeds mixed in were those three! They're just the three that stuck out the most to me. Mostly because the GSD/Malinois is more than 2/3s of their make up, and a lot of people say they're husky mixes. They have a bit of coonhound, beagle, chihuahua(weird, I know!) and a couple other breeds that I can't remember(don't have the results page on me right now). Sorry for implying that!

And they are quite high energy. They barely sleep for more than ten minutes each nap, before they want to get up and go chase the ball or run around the yard!

Considering this mix of breeds, should I worry about their size? My vet doesn't have a lot of experience with any kind of GSD, mixed or not, but was telling me that I should really be worried about their smaller size/stature, and to look into health problems. (Very scary!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are they showing signs of illness? If not, your vet sounds like he/she is being overly alarming about their size. How much do they weigh right now? From the photos they look like normal puppies. As myself and others have said, huskies and malinois tend to be smaller than german shepherds anyway, so if you're looking at gsd growth charts there might be a disparity. They are mixes after all so as long as they're healthy their size "is what it is."

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
GSD/Mal mix would make me over the moon happy. My Mal is incredible, my GSD was incredible. Both breeds are on the top 10 list of smart and high-performance dogs so I see nothing(to me at least) to worry with. Mals are in general less prone to genetic issues too, so maybe that dose of Mal will help keep bad news at bay.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Whatever the heck they are, they are pretty little things. As long as they are gaining weight at a steady rate, and not showing signs of being sickly, I wouldn't worry about size. Like others have said, Malinois and Sibes are both smaller than GSD. And with the possible dash of Chi, well, that could make for a much smaller dog, also. Love them for who they are. And if you ever decide you want to compete with them in AKC events like obedience, agility or Coursing Ability Tests, you can just go through the Canine Partners Listing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts