German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I have a 1-year old Sable who is currently at a 1-week Board and Train. The trainer texted me the other day and said she would love to see him get DNA tested to see how much wolf he has in him. I purchased Blitz through a breeder who informed us that he was a purebred and we got to meet both parents.

The trainer says he appears very wolf-like, especially his face. She believes he may be a low-content hybrid.

I purchased a DNA test kit from Embark the other day to test him when I pick him up.

I didn't know if anyone has experience with any of this. Below is recent post I made on the website which contains pictures of Blitz up to 1 year old.

I have also attached pictures of both parents and blitz to this post.

Would love to get everyone's opinion on this. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your dog sure looks like 100% GSD to me. In fact, Blitz looks very similar to my 11 month old working line GSD.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dunno, those eyes have a little wolfy look. But his ears are all German Shepherd. The sire is a little hairy and wolfy, too.

I ordered an embark kit for Duke. Like to settle things once and for all. He has yellow eyes and stubby ears and more hair than any dog I've ever seen. We brush and brush and brush.

But it shouldn't matter to a trainer. You have a beautiful dog.

We looked around the internet for photos of wolf mixes and found Duke's twin. Without a DNA test, the jury will always be out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I dunno, those eyes have a little wolfy look. But his ears are all German Shepherd. The sire is a little hairy and wolfy, too.

I ordered an embark kit for Duke. Like to settle things once and for all. He has yellow eyes and stubby ears and more hair than any dog I've ever seen. We brush and brush and brush.

But it shouldn't matter to a trainer. You have a beautiful dog.

We looked around the internet for photos of wolf mixes and found Duke's twin. Without a DNA test, the jury will always be out.
Your dog definitely does not look like a wolf. And don't believe everything you see on the internet. Most of the wolfdogs I have seen aren't.

·
Registered
448 Posts
your dog's sire may have some wolfy content but the dam looks identical to a female I used to have who was from a

line of working police K-9 dog breeding. Never had her DNA checked. My current rescue GSD does have a small

percent of wolf according to Embark, but then so do many GSDs. My current dog, photo in my avatar, looks nothing

like a wolf, but sometimes acts like one, LOL, when she's out and about riding in the pickup like the queen of the world.

Blitz is a handsome dog and I hope you let us know what his wolf percentage is.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I’m sorry, why are people saying the sire looks wolfy? A bad picture of an overweight, long haired sable German shepherd = wolf?? What? Am I missing something?

OP, your dog looks like a German shepherd. That’s all there is to it. Lots of people tell me my pup looks like a wolf, but then most people don’t know solid black German shepherds even exist, and I’m sure they’ve never actually seen a wolf in person either.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
dog and both parents appear GSD to me too... and where i would also be taken back by a trainer that suggested or inquired otherwise, from the limited information, i do not believe that this dog needs to immediately be pulled from this trainers home or facility prematurely.

think about it, a week long board and train is not very intensive... dog could be there for a very minor issue, refresher or maintenance work in addition to standard boarding, etc etc.

although i do have previous breed experience, my current dog was trained using techniques taught to me by labrador people... service dog stock at that.

edit: clarifying that if/when available, i’d highly recommend a trainer that is familiar with gsd and other working breeds - however, let’s slow down with suggesting that this dog is in the hands of a complete fool. 😜

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don’t see any wolf in that dog. He looks like a normal sable GSD. It worries me that you have your dog at a board and train whose trainer thinks he has wolf in him. 😲

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've raised a 50% wolf. Nothing in the pic of the guy in the snow says wolf. Snout is not lean enough, head to big. The only similarity I see between your dog and a wolf, they are both canines and you dog is about the size of a wolf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts