German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a 5 1/2 month GSD mix. She is 50% GSD. Her other breeds include American Pit Bull Terrier, Border Collie, Chow, Rottweiler, and “Supermutt.”

She currently weighs 39 pounds. The Embark test predicts her adult weight to be 41 pounds (they boast 85% accuracy). This just doesn’t seem right. Surely she’s not nearly full-grown? I would guess that even a 40 pound fully-grown dog did not reach its adult weight by six months, right?

Should I trust the DNA test prediction?

Her age is an estimate, but it would only be off by a few weeks at most. The size of her mother is unknown.
25A3343C-F1A5-4102-89F3-F104DC028B21.jpeg

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's almost certain that she will put on more than 2 lbs in the next year, even if she does end up on the smaller side. How much she puts on is anyone's guess. In my purebred German Shepherd female she weighed about 55lbs at 6 months, now almost 75lbs as a 2 year old, and she will most likely put on a further lb or two in the next year, which will be her final highest weight at about 2.5yrs old. It takes a long time for dogs to mature. Your dog will most likely put on at least 10lbs or more just gaining muscle and reaching bone density as an adult.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Embark said my boy would be 71lbs at adulthood...he's 83lbs now at 18 months. If I cut back any more food while maintaining our exercise level he'd be too ribby. I'd take the weight prediction with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I wonder what hat they pulled that from lol! Those dna tests for dogs are not federally regulated or standards the same as human dna tests. So I to would have to take those results with a grain of salt and Perhaps you have a lot of pit bulls in your area just guessing how they came up with that one. They are fun though and fun to see the responses they give but that’s about it for now hopefully that changes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
She's at about 60-75% of her adult weight at that age. So, conservatively, add 30% to her current weight which comes to 51 lbs and change.

Jack was about 55 lbs at 5 months and topped out at 94 lbs as an adult. 58% of his adult weight at that time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
They likely just compute a weighted average of the standard adult weights of the breeds in her mix. I doubt that it means very much.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
A lot of factors can play a role such as speutering and at what age. Some of the mixes shown in your dogs DNA results aren't very big dogs with adult female Border Collies and Pit Bulls weighing as little as 30# and still being within their respective breed standards.

I have found that my intact females are pretty much done growing by 7 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts