German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I am thinking about doing a DNA test on Balin to see what he really is. Has anyone had one done? I have seen different ones that can identify from 38 to 130 different breeds. Some use a mouth swab others a blood test.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Funny that you mention this. I was just thinking that in every case where someone had their mix DNA tested the results made no sense from looking at them. I was thinking if I had the money I would DNA test Chama since I know her father was a pb rottie and her mom was a mutt. I thought it would be interesting to see what showed up for the rest of her...

I know there are a few people on here who have done it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I called my vet and he said the technology doesn't actually exist to do that yet - so not sure if he is not well informed or if these things are a scam. I wanted to do it too, but hesitated when the provider needed a picture of the dog submitted with the sample. Why would they need a picture??

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
They're pretty much worthless. I have a friend on another board who knows a lot about canine genetics and has told me (and a few others) that these tests are a waste of money. I believe one of her professors has 2 tests from 2 different companies that they had run on their mutt and both have 2 entirely different results.

So, imho, save your money.
If the tests were accurate, I would have run one on Risa ages ago (since I have no idea what's in her mix). But, since they're not, I'm left to staring at her and guessing.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: dd Why would they need a picture??
That is an easy one. So they can look at the picture and "tell" you what "breeds" your dog is!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, I will save my $$. This is Balin he is about 5 months old in this picture and the other picture is his mother who looks GSD x something. Any guesses?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well I had the test done on my Macintosh and it came back Collie/Sheltie and as you can see, that's what he is. I didn't send them a photo. We met the mother (a pregnant stray at the pound) and she was a Pointer but each of the 14 pups all looked like a different breed.

So there must be some accuracy to it because he is so obviously 1/2 collie or sheltie but we wanted to know if there was anything else that would show up.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
To me, his mother looks like (maybe) GSD and Australian Cattle Dog. Balin looks like he's got a rottweiler head so maybe dad was a rottie or at least part rott?

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
a family member of mine had the blood test done on her dog - his results came back with a chart up to the grandparents which came out as him being primarily poodleXlhasa, but we're guessing there is a bit of bichon (bichon was not included in the breeds avail, but one of the grand parents came out as inconclusive.)

here's his photo. pretty accurate imo.

i do not recommend the mouth swab do it yourself test (biotech) after seeing this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: phgsdTo me, his mother looks like (maybe) GSD and Australian Cattle Dog. Balin looks like he's got a rottweiler head so maybe dad was a rottie or at least part rott?
A few people I know think there is some rottie in there. Even at 6 months he acts like a tough guy. I have had a couple people say Bernese Mtn Dog too, I don't know enough about them (other than the color) to say if he has any characteristics of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts