·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It really explains in on their website- eventhough i'm not too scientifically incllined. I do think it shows the dog's propensity to develop DM with the AA/AG/GG results...My boy either has DM or degenerative disc disease- I'm not putting him thru MRI to rule out disc disease so I paid $65, got by 'kit' from Orthopedic foundation, basically swabbing skin from inside their cheek and mailing back in
Will report back
Walton

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your dog Walton

I read through both websites but without a bit more scientic brain I think
I can't tell if they're looking at the same thing or not.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSD Lover II
Is this like the DM Flash Test?

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/dm_flash_test_web/index.html
It is the DM Flash test....they <u>stole</u> it from Dr Clemmons
I suggest people continue to support the research and the man that actually worked and sweated to find this test and continue to send Dr. Clemmons your blood samples.

Cherri

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: EastGSD
Originally Posted By: GSD Lover II
Is this like the DM Flash Test?

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/dm_flash_test_web/index.html
It is the DM Flash test....they <u>stole</u> it from Dr Clemmons
I suggest people continue to support the research and the man that actually worked and sweated to find this test and continue to send Dr. Clemmons your blood samples.

Cherri
I'm sorry to hear that Cherri

·
Registered
770 Posts
This test is through the OFA and according to the website has been funded by several breed organization/clubs. I don't think it qualifies as stealing a test from someone else. I think the more scientists doing research to find answers and possible cures, the better. Results from research such as this are always published and all researchers benefit from the results.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
No, in this case it is stolen information.

Dr. Clemmons freely shares his information on his site and with other doctors. He was pleaded with to copyright his work and test but did not, maybe he just believes more in the general good of people? In any event this man spent over 10 years developing what they took (and gave him no credit for) he found the genetic markers, he has the test yet they suddenly without other successes in the subject suddenly have a mutation gene and a test?? No, it is called stealing someone else's work.

Dr C asked for a grant from the GSDCA for his work and from the AKC and they both turned him down and instead funded this Dr Coates....I wont even get into how little this woman knew about GSD-DM and she got grants from both entities.

Dr Clemmons *DISCOVERED THE GENE RESPONSIBLE FOR DM IN OUR BREED* <u>and no thanks forthcoming from any club, no funding no nothing. The announcement went over like a dud, you could hear crickets</u>.

Dr C knew this "OFA thing and Coates" was happening. When they were confronted about using his information without giving him credit their excuse was "it is posted online so now it is free info" or something to that effect. We knew they were in the process of developing a test that they could profit from. All of Dr. C's fees go into the research, the ones to the OFA will not. It has taken Rodger Clemmons a great deal of his life to do what he has succeeded in doing, he should get the credit he deserves. These entities should be funding the man with all the records, data and blood samples instead of another group with nothing on the table but printouts of Dr C's website and papers.

I implore people to<u> PLEASE </u>continue to send your DM tests to Dr Clemmons so he can continue to detect the rate of inheritance and how many of the population potentially carry this trait. Please support his efforts and if you have the time email him a thank you and maybe a small check....he would very much appreciated it as this many has done what he has done out of the love for this breed, using his own funds and other donated funds he achiened something so VERY important and he was given nothing from the GSD community but a cold shoulder.

You dog's DM - Flash Test results are accepted by the OFA.

This OFA test is the SAME test as the DM Flash test Dr Clemmons does, there is nothing different about it other than the price.

This situation really has upset many people and I myself wish to see Dr. C's work continue to move forward and for him to get recognition from someone!

A test of this magnitude is not designed in months or a couple years...yet that is what Dr Coates and the OFA would have you believe.

How would you feel if you were Rodger?

Cherri < With DM free Emma as tested by Dr Clemmons

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: EastGSD...
I implore people to<u> PLEASE </u>continue to send your DM tests to Dr Clemmons so he can continue to detect the rate of inheritance and how many of the population potentially carry this trait. Please support his efforts and if you have the time email him a thank you and maybe a small check....he would very much appreciated it as this many has done what he has done out of the love for this breed, using his own funds and other donated funds he achiened something so VERY important and he was given nothing from the GSD community but a cold shoulder.
I agree. I hope everyone gives some support to Dr. C to continue his important work.

Gail Hardcastle sent the following information in an email about the GSDCA after their recent board meeting - "We funded $30,000 to Dr Clemmons to complete his DM study."

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
When was that donation made though Gayle? They have given money in the past but this past year, when it was so very important and so veru needed they did not, they gave it to Coates
It was very disapointing.

Cherri

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow, I didn't know about this. I am a HUGE supporter of Dr. C. My RIP - Dakota was diagnosed with DM five years ago by my vet in coordination with Dr. C. He's a great guy and his research is amazing. I am disappointed to read what is going on. I made a donation to help with his research b/c he was so thoughtful, kind and willing to provide me as much information as I wanted/needed. He even sent me a nice sympathy card when I let him know of Dakota's passing. I continue to donate to his worthy research!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree - Dr. C really is awesome!!! His experimental stem cells gave my DM pup another 6 months of life. Yes, unfortunately in the end it didn't last but it did give us a reprieve and was the ONLY time in the whole darn disease my boy actually had some improvement and did not just steadily decline. Dr. C truly is brilliant!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: EastGSDWhen was that donation made though Gayle? They have given money in the past but this past year, when it was so very important and so veru needed they did not, they gave it to Coates
It was very disapointing.
I don't know - the only thing she said about it in her email was what I quoted. But since the email was discussing current business and the last BOD meeting, I "assume" it was new.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Majorie can no longer post here but she posted on the database and it has some good information.
Of course, the Flash test was named for her dog so of course her passion lies with Dr Clemmons but in reading her post even though much is over my head, it makes sense.

Mods - I hope this is ok, I think it's important reading.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/192244.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts