German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get my first 4-year old female GSD DNA tested for DM through DDC veterinary. Test results came in today and she is at risk (2 copies of the DM mutation). I am absolutely devastated and have been crying all day. The reason I got her tested was because I wanted to know if she was at risk or not. She does not show any symptoms currently besides having a little difficulty getting up but this is mainly because she is overweight (90lbs) but now I am thinking this could be an early symptom of DM. My goal is to get her down to at least 70-75 lbs. I got her hips x-rayed a year ago and she has good hips. She currently gets MSM powder, dasuquin & cosequin and Bayer's free form snip tip fatty acid capsules daily. She gets Ester C occasionally but I will start giving it to her daily. My sweet princess was a birthday gift from an ex-partner and I have no idea who her parents were. Is there anything I can do NOW besides the obvious of getting her to lose weight? Although I cannot prevent the disease from coming, I want to do everything I possibly can to make my baby healthy. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
That's tough, but you are way ahead of yourself.
First DM is late onset, means symptoms generally start at around 8 OR OLDER! Sabi was 11. As sucky as it is an awful lot of dogs get taken out by something else first, or simply succumb to old age.
AT RISK means IF the dog lives long enough symptoms will develop.
So up the exercise, decrease the treats(because you know you are doing it), work on keeping her strong and healthy. You don't need to throw the medicine chest at her, you need to feed her a healthy diet.
The struggling to get up is not DM, she's fat and out of shape I would bet.
Relax, don't dwell and work on getting her in shape. The good news is exercise is good for you to, and it's great for bonding.

·
Registered
348 Posts
my previous GSD didn't show any signs of DM until she was about 13. Lived another 3 yrs. I didn't even know she was
a candidate for it so, her whole life I fed RAW or semi-cooked meat and lots of vitamins. Towards the last few years,
many joint supplements helped keep it at bay plus Adequan shots. If the dog is super healthy otherwise, it comes on fairly slowly until it suddenly gets worse.
I think you have a long time til you worry but get her fit and healthy first and keep her that way.
BTW, none of my dogs get treats, because I think they're like junk food. Training bits are real freeze dried liver.
Now go and enjoy your dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts