German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of reading on the disease and was wondering what other members think and feel about breeding a DM carrier. Although we have no dogs here with this, but we are concerned about this disease and try to keep up on all the latest news. We have tested our dogs and so far we have had our dogs tests come back clear of DM.

My concern is when you breed a dog that has been found to be a carrier to a non- carrier, what is the chance of producing pups that are found to be carriers. If there is a chance of this happening I would not make a practice of it as we do not want to contribute to the problems that come up in our breed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Following basic Mendelian genetic principles, you can expect 50% of the puppies to be carriers if you bred a non-carrier to a carrier.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Chuck, what DM test(s) have you done?

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what I was told and found out OFA has a DM test Aval. and plan on ordering a few test kits for our dogs. As for right now as far as I know we have no carriers here. But like you all know that could change as the tests begin here.

If DM works the same as EPI does than I would think that if 2 carriers breed there is a better chance to produce a pup that has full blown DM. So far what I did read was that even if you breed a dog that is a carrier you can produce carriers in their offspring.

I was just reading about a member on another forum that I go to that has a carrer in her kennel which was the reason I am starting to ask more about this genetic disease. To me it doesn't make any sense to be breeding a dog that is a known carrier

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
The OFA test is part of the research that U of Missouri is doing, I believe. I'm not familiar with how their results are obtained or how they grade them. However, my Starine has very recently been diagnosed with DM and we did the Flash test from the U of Florida where Dr. Clemmons has been researchuing the disease for 20 + years. These are some of the comments in Star's lab report:

" We do not currently know if the DM Flash test becomes positive before the signs of clinical disease are apparent or if the DM Flash test could indicate a genetic potential to develop DM, we only know that it is abnormal in DM dogs diagnosed by our criteria."

As far as someone who is breeding dogs who suspects that their dogs could pass on DM, even generations from now, I am at a loss for words. I am going through one of the worst times of my life right now since getting Star's diganosis, and I can't fathom any reason to inflict this amount of pain upon anyone else, if it could be prevented.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Quote:For what I was told and found out OFA has a DM test Aval. and plan on ordering a few test kits for our dogs. As for right now as far as I know we have no carriers here. But like you all know that could change as the tests begin here.
But how do you know if you haven't tested yet?

·
Registered
907 Posts
as he stated "as far as I know we have no carriers here"
Originally Posted By: Andaka
Quote:For what I was told and found out OFA has a DM test Aval. and plan on ordering a few test kits for our dogs. As for right now as far as I know we have no carriers here. But like you all know that could change as the tests begin here.
But how do you know if you haven't tested yet?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
In the start of the thread he said his dogs were tested. I'm a little confused.

Originally Posted By: chuck Although we have no dogs here with this, but we are concerned about this disease and try to keep up on all the latest news. We have tested our dogs and so far we have had our dogs tests come back clear of DM.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is DM the thread issue or people? Are there any other breeders out here with any questions or add's?? I, myself would like to know, because one of my dogs died from DM.......

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It's an awful disease.

I lost a GSD to it a few years ago.

Hard decision how long to let them go on. One of the most difficult decision I've ever made.

I was living in Florida where much of the research is done and understood, at that time, that there were no tests to verify a dog had DM until he was symptomatic.

Perhaps they have a test now.

I can't imagine someone purposely breeding a dog that might pass DM on to future generations.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, Anne it is an awful desease. I also agree about people passing it to future generations.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I don't know a thing about breeding...when asked if I breed my dogs I always say 'No, I leave that up to the experts'. But as a layperson, and someone who loves our breed I am constantly saddened when I see our breed on the top of so many lists of diseases and conditions. We've become so familiar with these things we only have to refer to them by a couple of letters and we know what we are talking about (DM, EPI, PF just to name a few).

I'd say if there is any chance of ruling out these diseases/conditions as breeders you need to take these steps. I don't mind paying more for a pup if it decreases my chances of my baby suffering later. As breeders you owe it this breed, to the pups and your buyers not to breed questionable dogs.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
There are two tests to determine if the dog carries the DM gene. There is the OFA test and Clemmons' test. My understanding is that Clemmons' believes that the DM in GSDs is different than DM in other breeds. The test doesn't tell you if your dog has DM, only the gene for it (or as a carrier I think). The gene, plus sympoms, and rule out of other diseases is how the diagnosis is made. *I think*, I don't know a lot about DM.

Sure would be nice if breeders did test for the gene.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Didn't know there is an OFA test for it. I've only ever had the Clemmon's Flash test done.

But so many breeders do so little health testing, this would be one more test that the majority will not do so even if your dog was tested and found to not be a carrier will you only breed to dogs that were also cleared of carrier status? That'll certainly limit who you breed to because I couldn't find many breeders that tested beyond hips, if they even did that.

If I were to ever breed a dog the list of tests I would subject him/her to would be lengthy and might just guarantee that I will never breed a dog anyway!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: spiritsmomDidn't know there is an OFA test for it. I've only ever had the Clemmon's Flash test done.
There are some out there that question if the test used in conjunction with OFA is really the "right" test for GSDs.

If I had a dog I suspected had DM or if I were going to breed, I'd use Dr Clemmon's Flash test

·
Registered
4 Posts
I lost my beloved German Shepherd male to this horrible disease in May 2009 at 13 years old. I became a virtual expert on DM during the year prior to his death and had him on Dr. Clemmons protocol using his recommended Florida pharmacy for his meds.

During my research on all info I could get on DM, and any treatment possiblities that may be out there, I discovered this newly available DNA test for the genes responsible for the genetic defect.

Here is the link to the University of Missouri, College of Veterinary Medicine that has the test information. On this site, you will be able to find out nearly everything you want to know about Degenerative Myelopathy, the DNA test, and breeding recommendations. Use the menu on the left side of the site to navigate the information.

http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/DM/mainDM.htm

It seems many breeders are unaware this test exists. Please spread the word among any breeders you may know so we may, at the very least, greatly decrease the occurance of this disease in our Shepherds, and maybe in time, with diligent breeding practices, totally eradicate it from them.

I intend to ask the breeder of my next puppy if the parents were tested for this, and if not, what guarantee might they offer if I have my puppy tested and, God forbid, he tests with both genes abnormal. As I understand it, no dog has yet been confirmed to have developed DM UNLESS both genes were abnormal.

I hope this information helps!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts