German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Nice!

I did the same thing this summer, but I like how you sawed off the 'T's' (is that what you did) to make the cups for the bar to sit on?

I was going to purchase the cup things from Clean Run but the shipping to Ont, Canada would kill me.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Here's my jump and weave pole, I now added a tire jump and a teeter. I ordered some mini equipment too (cost me an arm and a leg) but it was sent to my Dad's place 3 hours away for his dog to train on.. I will get some photo's when we visit though.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I like how you sawed off the 'T's' (is that what you did) to make the cups for the bar to sit on?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. I looked into making adjustable ones, but quite honestly- the entire idea of adjustability seems like an absolute pain to me! You have to make sure everything stays level. You have to ensure that it doesn't slip down over time- or especially if the dog hits it... No thanks. I wanted something ridged so I wouldn't have to worry about it shifting.

I also made a couple sets of collapsable 2x2 weave poles. Pics attached.
EDIT- the end pieces for the 2x2 poles are 1" slip elbows with a 1/2" thread coming off the top. I found them at Lowes. The poles themselves have a 1/2" thread to 3/4" slip adapter, and obviously 3/4" pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Just finished up my ladder run- turned out nice! I opted to not glue the rails in place so they could be removed at a later point if I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Pause table

So we (Samba and I) searched Lowes for the 3 ways to make a table like MRL, but could not find any, so here is what we came up with:

Using just 8 elbows of 2" PVC pipe and about 30' of 2" PVC, we made an "X" type table. The center is a 4 way 2" piece. I added spacers to make changing heights easier (you can see the legs for the 24" hight next to it)

It is adjustable for 8" (just the top and bottom) 16" (where it is set now) and 24" (for regulation for our GSDs).

The top is just 5/8th inch plywood covered with automotive grade carpeting. It's black for now, but plan on redoing it later in a lighter color - it's just what DH had on hand.

The top just sits on the "X" and it is snug without shifting. Came out to be about 37" square on the top after adding the 3" sides/lips.

Loving this table! :D

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Achielles- very nice pause table! I tried making one out of PVC in a similar "cross" fashion as yours, though i only crossed at the bottom. I also only used 1" PVC. Yours looks very solid and nice. Since this is a "hints & tips" thread, my suggestion to you is to pick up some transparent primer. I found it at Lowes- right next to the typical purple primer. It does exactly the same thing, though it doesn't leave the purple joints. :thumbup:

BTW- your barn is *fantastic!*

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Thank you for posting this! I want to start agility with my dogs ( just for fun) and was trying to get started! Sasha is on off leash training right now and then we are set for agility.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thanks! It is VERY sturdy :) I covered the purple primer since lol decked it out on Duck tape Flames lol ;)

Oh! I love the building too! I don't own it but some great people are letting me use it. We put in very fine chat and it is perfect for jumping :)

I'll have to get more pictures of the building and the other equipment we've built. Love those adjustable channel weaves! ;) We'd have even more room in the building if the RV and billiard table weren't in there lol but we can't complain for the price ;) !

·
Registered
459 Posts
I spent my snow day today cutting PVC and assembling a new wing jump to add to our agility equipment. :)

Materials:
3 - 1" thick 10 foot PVC pipes (332 inches PVC total used)
4 - 1" elbow connectors
12 - 1" T connectors
8 - 1" PVC caps
Clip N Go Jump Cups (cleanrun.com)
PVC cutter

Cut PVC into following sizes:
8 x 4"
8 x 8"
6 x 30"
4 x 2"
1 x 48" (jump bar)

Assemble as in the photos:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Made a wobble board today to teach balance. I used these plans:
http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=YGPYnvYA2R8

I carpeted it with outdoor carpet. In the last pic, you can see the 2x12 - 12' teeter board I made her as well. it used a 3" PVC pivot point. As she progresses on contact equipment, I will build a better (and adjustable) base.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What are the point of having wings on the jumps?
GREAT question!

It makes us, the handler, get AWAY from the dog. The wings actually put a distance between where we are running and the dog is running. If we aren't used to running a course with wings (and neither is the dog) then when we approach a winged jump on a course we, the human, will tend to have our dog right by our side but have to move away from the center of the jump to get around that darn wing (or crash and burn :) ).

What happens to our dogs when we suddenly dart to the side to get around the wing, is they come with us! Instead of continuing straight over the cross bar, they'll think 'hey, if mom/dad is darting to the side, then I'm going with them!!!!!!!!!!!!! '

A jump without a wing allows dog/handler to almost be in 'heel' position and still have both of us keep running parallel to each other and in a straight line. Also makes the dog think mom/dad has to be really close all the time on a course which isn't an advantage most of the time (I can't run as fast as my dog, I want her to run fast, but it's easier to have her run the far outside of a pinwheel at top speed and I can just stand in the center pivoting!).

Did that help?:wub:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great response, MRL! That's exactly the reason I'm making wing jumps - I am constantly running into them or almost running into them and completely messing up my handling. Tara and I both need to figure out how to work with a bit more lateral distance and having jump wings will help force us to do that.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Made a travel board to work on contacts. Nothing special, but I felt like building something- especially over engineering something! haha! So I put a center rib down it notching the rib to interlock with the legs. Eh... It was fun. Oh, and Pimg is wet from just getting a bath. My back yard is literally a mud pit...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
So I'm sitting at work today not feeling overly productive and I decide to take off three hours early (used vacation time). I came home and built Pimg four more single bar jumps. Adjustability is the same as my initial design- 12", 20", and 24"

You can also see just how tore up my yard is. And guess what- it's raining right now... Hello mud!

(This is my first coat of paint. That's why it looks spotty.)

[EDIT]- And you can also see the mud on the tree at least 7' up. This is from Pimg's incessant desire to chase imaginary squirrels on a continual basis. :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
In spite of the rain this morning and the super cold day, I got all the painting done on all five of my bar jumps. I think they turned out really great! Next up- wings for all of these. Notice that I designed them so a wing can hook right in (see the Tee's pointing out).

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Built a proper set of 2x2 weave poles (actually, three sets) today. 24" centers and about 20 pounds or so total. They're made of 3" wide, 3/16" thick steel which I cut and welded. PVC poles are 40" tall, 1" schedule 40. I still have a little work left to do. I'm going to extend the base of two of the sets so that they can be connected into a single set of six poles. I'll finish them tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Was able to finish up the weave poles today (omitting painting, which I will finish today- hopefully). Enjoy the pics! Hopefully they give you guys some ideas for your own. Total cost was about $100 (steel is expensive!!!), but that is still a lot cheaper than the cheapest option in steel.

The weave poles can be disassembled into three sets of two poles using these brackets:

Six poles connected. As we get better and better, we'll progress to twelve poles.

The poles fit into the attachment brackets.

Six poles, offset.

The bracket detached. The idea here was that the bracket can be completely removed so as not to interfere with Pimg's foot placement. Otherwise I would have just welded it in place:

I guess I just noticed that I still need to drill holes in the "legs" in order to stake the poles to the ground... Geesh...

[EDIT]- My inspiration came from here

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I've discovered (though it has been mentioned before) that the standard-grade (as opposed to furniture grade) PVC I used to make my jumps is deteriorating in the sun, assumedly due to the UV rays. It's odd because my jumps are painted even. But if Pimg misses a jump and lands on top of the bar- she is breaking off my jump cups. Since I glued them all together, it's pretty much ruining the jumps! What a shame!

So I've been looking into alternatives to PVC and found the ones in this video. My question is: how do the jump cups work in wood standards? Do any of you guys who compete often see these kinds of standards?

The nice thing about them is that they won't break if I throw a ball at them (which I seem to be very good at doing with my current jumps. They also aren't going to break if Pimg accidently runs into one. I think this is the route I will take for new jumps... I just need to figure out the jump cups.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts