German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to turn my normal tire into a breakaway tire. Tonight I was able to make the internal armature which will hold each half of the tire in a semi-circle shape. I used 1" EMT conduit and made a jig to bend the curve.

This armature is made to be a 28" diameter on center. That would make it sit in the center of a 4" drainage pipe shaped to a 24" inner diameter. That's all for tonight. I still have some training to do.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More progress. I glued wood circles onto the armature in order to keep the drainage pipe in place. The masking tape is just holding the wood in place while the adhesive dried.

Then I put the pipe over the armature. Looking good so far!

The magnets are in the mail, and I purchased the colored duct tape tonight (though I think I'm going to try to locate heat shrink tubing).

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both armatures are now complete:

And the magnets arrived! They are 1" square and 1/2" deep. They have a magnet to magnet pull of 49.48 pounds.

I embedded the magnets in the end plates on the armature:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More progress. Got the magnets in both ends now...

Here's a little explanation of what I have going.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just have to add side straps

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks GatorDog. It was a fun project!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Willy, how long was the conduit use used on each side? I'm trying to build my own and was wondering. Thank you!
It was built a really long time ago- I don't remember. But the inner diameter is 24" and I think the plywood rings are 4" so the conduit is a 26" diameter circle, or 81.68" in circumference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice design! I'm going to use it as the basis for my own tyre jump. I have made the hoop out of 3mm aluminium so far. I will be adding some electronics to make it able to be remotely controlled ,like the jumps i have made. The end design will be that the jumps will automatically adjustedwhen the dogs microchip is scanned. Here's a link to my prototype : : https://youtu.be/QZH3cLPUb0U. And the first sets : https://www.facebook.com/sfdab/videos/949379378515040/.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Wow nice yeah I wish I was handy -agility equipment is so expensive and the less inexpensive stuff is just crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts