German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the puppies are coming...the puppies are coming...! Dixie was 8.5 wks & that's how i felt fri & sat nights. Her temp was dropping bit by bit & she was more willing to chill in her whelping box. saturday night i was up every hr checking on her & sunday night i opted to sleep on the couch just outside of her whelping area. at 3:30 sunday morning, i woke up to a grunt (what we would come to know as the only indication she was about to have a pup) & found dixie (on her bed - not in her box) w/ a pup half out & the sac already busted. . . she was a lil anxious - moving around trying to stand & sit back down but she got it out & about 3 pushes & went right to business being a mom! after the pup was clean i got her in her box & at 3:40 pup 2 was born (breech - but still in the sac); she managed to get this one out in just 2 pushes. it was about an hr before contractions started back & the 3rd was born & the first girl was born at about 6:15. the next boy @ 6:45, another girl @ 7:30 & the last pup at 10:45 - by the time pup 6 came out, Dixie was getting tired & was able to push out the pup - still attached to the placenta - but not the placenta itself. although we'd been in contact w/ the vet thru this all - we couldn't reach her at this point & tried to get Dixie to stand, & move around to get the placenta out - but all she wanted to do was chew the cord. . . the pup - out of the sac, was calm as a cucumber thru it all, she actually latched on to a nipple while Dixie was standing & started bfast. eventually Dixie won out & chewed the cord & the placenta was passed at about 3pm; after pup 7 - which was also an "interesting" situation - we thought there might be 8 pups, but after the 6th & 7th we were glad there wasn't b/c she was obiously wearing out. the it took almost 3 hrs until the last pup was here & we were discussing a c-section, or something to induce contrations - but dixie was not straining, just heavy panting so we were going to wait til 4 hrs had passed. . . i stepped into the kitchen for about 5 mins & came back to a very "docile" Dixie, a hind leg sticking out (out of the sac) and a pool of green on the bedding... it took about 10 minutes (it seemed) to get this one out & we had to actually stimulate contractions to do so. we were not hopeful this one would make it out alive, but once out it coughed up some fluid, i sucked out a lil more (w/ the bulb) and she was eager to find a nipple. We ended up w/ 4 boys & 3 girls, all who seem healthy to boot! i wasn't able to weigh them (i assumed my digital scale would do so, but they are too light to register it) but visually i can't even see a runt! they are all perfect & cuddly. Can't wait to watch them grow & i'll be sad to see them go to their forever homes :D!

I don't know who to upload pics yet - but i'll do so as soon as i find the post telling me how :D

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
:congratulations: I hope they all turn out healthy and go to fantastic forever homes :) Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics - i know they need to be resized...

Here we go:
Basket o' Pups anyone?

Momma & pups:

*i'm going to make a collage of the pups & post it - give me a sec :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Precious little furballs! Congratulations. I even spotted a little white toe! My daughter calls those "sugar toes". Lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) thanks guys! yes, one of those sugar toed ones got woken up a second ago & instantly rolled over & started sucking on his own foot LOL, super cute - he's found a real food source NOW lol.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Sometimes giving some carnation condensed milk, or vanilla ice cream can help a bitch continue when she is tired out, will start the contractions going again.

But in the end, it sounds like a good delivery. She has a big job to do, so give her plenty of delectable nourishment. I usually give either yogurt or cottage cheese, meat, eggs, and some kibble with every meal, at least for the first week or so. Then I might back off a little on the extras if the pups are all gaining wait and doing good.

If she has eaten all the placentas, expect some serious black yuck poo outside. She may not be hungry right away, but if she does seem to go off food, take her temperature and make sure she isn't running a fever.

It sounds like she is a good mother, and everything is going good.

I would send someone for a kitchen scale. Walmart sells them cheap. Weighing the puppies twice daily will tell you if any are in trouble and if the bitch is doing ok. I use different color rick-rack to tell them apart, and check them so that they are not too tight or too loose every time I weigh them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, selzer.
She got a tablespoon of full fat vanilla ice cream after each pup (i don't recall where i read that or the amt but she definately enjoyed it). she did eat all the placentas (most pups she barely let hit the ground before she was handling business - i was planning on doing the cord myself since i'd seen so many / heard about how excited they could get while chewing the cord - but she did great). . . I've incorporated any meat scraps we have into her diet. she wasn't very hungry at all up until about yesterday afternoon - i just chalked it up to her not wanting to leave the pups. and she was having #2 bathroom issues (but i completely understood that, as i've had a kid myself LOL - i remembered being TERRIFIED of that part ... okay TMI, but that's how she seemed, shed squat several times... re adjust & after about 3 attempts, whine LOL) but she's finally gotten that handled & it's definately dark & goooey! lol

i'll have the hubs grab a kitchen scale tonight. i found one, but it's measurments are broken up to largely to get an accurate reading. I also stood on the scale & got my weight - then weighed w/ ea pup in hand & all seem to be over a # as of about 36hrs - but we all know how reliable digital scales are LOL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question: when is a good time to introduce them to the outdoors - obviously i'll be waiting until they open their eyes & whatnot, but haven't seen anywhere where it points out when is TOO early to do so & i don't want to risk them getting sick or something... (my husband thinks i'm too "worrisom" w/ them but i just tell him i feel like these are MY kiddos LOL and i'd rather be overly cautious than flipant :)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Gosh, it is hard to say. I have a doggy door in the whelping area, and the puppies start going outside on their own, usally late in the second week or early in the third week if the weather is nice. You do need to consider predators both from the ground and from the sky. So far my bitches have been awesome and I have never lost a puppy to a snake or hawk/owl/Eagle, but it does terrify me. If they will go for a rabbit... But then they are right up against the house and wild things usually want to stay farther away.

If you are right there with them, there is no reason to not take them outside if the temperature is good, and the area you are taking them to is not run over by wildlife. You do not want them to get sick. Once they reach a temperature where they could survive an ordinary fever in dogs 103+, I think you can take them outside. I believe that it takes them to week three to get to their regular temperature. Right now, they have trouble regulating their heat and need their mother and litter mates, and possibly extra help from you to keep their body up to 96/98 degrees. This is why canine herpes, which usually goes unnoticed in adult dogs -- a fever of 103 kills the virus, can kill a whole litter of puppies. Their bodies cannot build up or support that type of heat, and it will devestate them.

What I have is a concrete puppy pen that the doggy door leads to, which is within a fenced yard, so no wild things are shedding diseases like lepto, or canine herpes, etc.

Outside in the front yard, I set up a series of x-pens, well before the litter is born. Then I carry them out there and let them enjoy that area while I watch for anything that might be an issue. But that is usually when they are a minimum of 3 weeks, maybe four. It depends somewhat on the weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great. i was thinking 3 or 4 wks, but wanted to be sure. aside from being unusually wet, we are having great temps here this yr - mild but muggy. 'course in 3 wks, that could change - this is Arkansas LOL.

we do live in the country but we don't see too many wild animals thanks to the "cattle" dogs around here & my matriarch (lab) keeps any other dogs but our own clear from fence post to fence post.

I can't wait to see the lil guys & gals wrestling & playing with each other!!! cuteness.
I'll try to keep y'all updated as they grow ! Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Love looking at the puppy pictures. I needed a happy thing today and this was it. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing them grow up. Do you have homes for all of them already?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:) glad i could brighten your day - these lil guys/gals sure brighten mine LOL. (and my daughters - she gets to hold 1, every morning after it eats & before she goes to school!)
Yup, all 7 already placed (w/ back ups if any fall thru), all but one is local & we've established a fb group to keep up w/ each pup as they grow!, i'm very excited to keep up w/ these lil ones - as This was Dixies only litter & we will not be keeping any for ourselves (much to my daughters dismay LOL)...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
:) glad i could brighten your day - these lil guys/gals sure brighten mine LOL. (and my daughters - she gets to hold 1, every morning after it eats & before she goes to school!)
Yup, all 7 already placed (w/ back ups if any fall thru), all but one is local & we've established a fb group to keep up w/ each pup as they grow!, i'm very excited to keep up w/ these lil ones - as This was Dixies only litter & we will not be keeping any for ourselves (much to my daughters dismay LOL)...
Thank you. Nothing like puppy pictures to make me smile. I'm glad to hear you are a responsible breeder and even have extra homes lined up. I was asking just in case - I know two people looking right now. They are both former GSD owners or I wouldn't even consider asking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wanted to update w/ some pictures. Sunday = 1 wk :wub:

All the girls are the Heavy weights (all pups are over 2 lbs, but the girls are on the top half while the boys are on the bottom & most of the girls just LOOK big compared to the boys - maybe it's b/c of having a lean mommy & a stocky daddy - not sure, but i find it amusing :p)
Girl Pink:

Girl Purple

Girl Red was the first to have her eyes open. Her eyes are all the way open now... soo cute!

Boy Blue is slowly becoming my favorite - he's very calm & "cuddly". Doesn't have a puppy "siezure" lol, if you pick him up out of sleep. Just yawns & cuddles back up to you :D

Boy Green / Black (depending upon which collar type he fits in) is one of the "blenders" he has yet to come off over cuddly or over whiney - just kinda chill:
Boy Brown / Yellow - is very vocal. Do NOT wake this one out of his sleep unless you want a fit! lol, also if he wakes on his own & mom isn't around, he will have something to "say" about it...

Boy Orange is another vocal one - although usually he's just vocal when food isn't w/in reach LOL -

5 out of 7 Pups are lapping milk out of a cup & last night I tried a runny puppy chow / milk / water mix & most seemed to like that. (there always seems to be 2 not nursing at any given time, so I like to try them & gauge where they are). One of the pups - i forget which one, WILL NOT HAVE IT. lol, you can put anything in her (i think it's a girl) mouth & she'll lick / suck it off - but refuses (litterally swings her head away as to say, "no... you can't. make. me!) to lap. I'm sure she'll come along.

Hope Y'all enjoyed the update. I'll try to do something often, but w/ the pups + my online schooling starting up this wk + my kiddo starting kindergarten & my regular 40 hr work wk - i can't make any promises LOL. message me if i don't post for a while & i'll send some pics!

I have super cute vids too! one of my mini dac trying to ignore a "whiney" blue... all the while trying to figure out what that "thing" whining is??? LOL

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
So cute - I love those little pink puppy paw pads. I WANT!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts