German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My toy poodle was just diagnosed with distichiasis. That is eyelashes growing inside the eyelid. Our vet did not mention any treatment for it at the time of the exam but when I read my bill it says that surgery is recommended to prevent corneal ulceration.

Does anybody have any experience with this? It isn't common in GSD's but I figured I would ask here. I would like to figure out how soon surgery is necessary because I cant afford it right now. At the same time, I don't want his corneas to ulcerate... I know I need to contact my vet, but I wanted more opinions based on experience on this if at all possible.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
one of the hound idiots at my inlaws house had this problem. My brother in law waited too long to have the surgery done (pretty simple surgery from what I remember) and Bear is now blind in that eye. To my knowledge, surgery is the only way to correct this. Perhaps your vet would allow you to pay plan it?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Shania was diagnosed when I got her. Its pretty common in Shih Tzus. The hair is very uncomfortable and should be removed. When Shania went under for her spay the vet lazered the hairs out and that was the only treatment. It's not an emergency. I waited 6 months between diagnosis and surgery and Shania was fine after that.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping I would be able to have it taken care of at the same time that I have him neutered (and have some baby teeth pulled). I would not be qualified for care credit because I have no income. Our regular vet down state does not do payment plans but I will see if our vet up north does.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
if there are any vet schools that you can get to, you may want explore having the neutering and eye lash lazer procedure there, might save you some dollars.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
What price did the vet quote you for the surgery? Shania's only added $75 to her spay bill, but that was in 2001.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts