German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a distemper only vaccine but it is modified live. I believe the distemper/parvo combo is a killed virus. My 9-wk old has only had parvo so far and we are heading to the vet soon for distemper.

Any guidance on modified live vs. dead/killed virus?

I plan on going minimal and using titers when I can. If parvo/distemper combo is safer then that is what I will do.

Btw - I found a vaccine schedule on this site (not Dodds) with info on buying single vaccines, age recommendations etc and I can't find it anywhere. It lists the parvo, distemper, using titers and rabies when required by law. She (I think she) even gave the manufacturer info for all those vets who say you can't get single vaccines. If someone has this link I would love to see it again.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Karen

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am pretty sure most recommendations are for MLV vaccines due to longer immunity and fewer bad recations

The Distemper my vet gave was Merck Galaxy D MLV though she had a hard time sourcing it for awhile.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
For any young pup's in my house, I always gave the combo for the series of puppy shots. When they get older I still do the combo, but I spread it out over 3 years and only give them two sets of shots in their adult life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts