German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im almost 10 months into having my gsd puppy. Not my first gsd but my first lc or plush. Ive been doing alot of roaming and reading on them. Seems like in certain spots there is a serious dislike or almost hate for them among the purist ( not meant to be a put down in any way, just for lack of a better word i guess) Ive read comments about how they are not really gsd and those who buy them are duped by the breeders etc. I realize they are not the standard and so forth. thats not what i got a gsd for. I know some of the comments are absurd. I guess I just dont understand and would really like to hear from people on both sides of it. It has no bearing on how I love my dog. Hes a great dog and we are doing great in obedience, and I think he is beautiful and have never had a dog get so much positive attention.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
My first Shepherd was a LC. She was an amazing dog and partner. I still love them. But I don't miss the upkeep:).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Everyone has an opinion on the ideal dog. Size considerations are due to breed considerations, what they're designed to do. Commercially available larger sized dogs tend to cater to a market seeking calmer family dogs (King/Shiloh Shepherds), and the quick-footed events working dogs do doesn't gel with a cumbersome build. LC dogs (as of right now) are not something you can take in the AKC ring, although that's hopefully changing. Combine an over-size with an LC and you've pretty much got a pet market.

There are good dogs in every size, every color, every coat length. It works for you and that's all that matters. But folks breeding to a standard have to keep to their standard, and that doesn't include massive oversized dogs or coats (if they're in AKC, at least).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't care for them but its not the dog, its the coat. They just look too fluffy to me. Its purely a "look" thing (in the same way I prefer sables over blankets or solids) and has nothing to do with the dog or its abilities.

That said, I've known some wonderful plush/lc GSDs, and if one fell in my lap I probably wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't seek one out. I can't imagine the hair, yikes!

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
They are accepted by the SV and able to be koer classed and bred. It is a matter of taste. Personally, I like a plusher coat, but not a full long coat...but again, just a matter of taste...

Lee

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
I don't care for them but its not the dog, its the coat. They just look too fluffy to me. Its purely a "look" thing (in the same way I prefer sables over blankets or solids) and has nothing to do with the dog or its abilities.

That said, I've known some wonderful plush/lc GSDs, and if one fell in my lap I probably wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't seek one out. I can't imagine the hair, yikes!
I would have never sought one out either, but we have one. I got used to the fluffiness and now I think he looks awesome. As for the hair its nowhere near as bad as I thought, in fact instead of shedding hair all over my house like my two stock coats, he holds onto it till he is brushed. Regular brushing vs vacuuming it almost evens out.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I actually prefer the more plush coat, I do not like the tighter coat.

My boy's mom had a shorter coat and his dad was a long coat, my boy has the perfect in-between coat.

I really like long coated blacks and sables, they are gorgeous.

·
Super Moderator
32,019 Posts
I've read comments about how they are not really gsd and those who buy them are duped by the breeders etc.
:rofl: My coaties have the exact same genetics as their stock coated siblings, so if they're not really GSDs then neither was the rest of the litter! As far as being "duped", I actually wanted longcoats, and would have felt duped if I bought a puppy that was supposed to be a coatie but turned out not to be. They're now my preference and I can't imagine myself owning a regular stock coat again.

People think and say stupid things all the time. People are going to love your dogs or they're not, they're going to like you or they're not. You just can worry about other people think, especially when YOU know your dog is the BEST! :wub:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you'll find a lot of purist on this forum that like a coatie. like any breed
a GSD coatie can be pure bred or mixed. a coatie may is not the standard
in some registries but i think they're accepted in the SV.

how you feel about your dog is all that matters.

So im almost 10 months into having my gsd puppy. Not my first gsd but my first lc or plush. Ive been doing alot of roaming and reading on them.

>>>>> Seems like in certain spots there is a serious dislike or almost hate for them among the purist ( not meant to be a put down in any way, just for lack of a better word i guess) Ive read comments about how they are not really gsd and those who buy them are duped by the breeders etc.<<<<<

I realize they are not the standard and so forth. thats not what i got a gsd for. I know some of the comments are absurd. I guess I just dont understand and would really like to hear from people on both sides of it.

>>>>> It has no bearing on how I love my dog. Hes a great dog and we are doing great in obedience, and I think he is beautiful and have never had a dog get so much positive attention.<<<<< [/quote]

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
The longcoat was a disqualification until recently. It is still considered a fault according to the written standard for the GSD.

Although coaties are beautiful when kept well-groomed, I personally don't like the maintenance required--and I'm a professional groomer! Though the softer plush and long coats are soft to the touch and lovely to look at, from a purely utilitarian perspective, I like a hard, tight stock coat, myself. Dirt, burrs, stickers, and debris does not stick to it, it's easy to care for, dries quickly, and always looks tidy. I groom dogs all day, I don't want to come home and do MORE of it. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you do have to come home and groom. maybe not everyday
but you have to do it and i'm sure you do. lol.

The longcoat was a disqualification until recently. It is still considered a fault according to the written standard for the GSD.

Although coaties are beautiful when kept well-groomed, I personally don't like the maintenance required--and I'm a professional groomer! Though the softer plush and long coats are soft to the touch and lovely to look at, from a purely utilitarian perspective, I like a hard, tight stock coat, myself. Dirt, burrs, stickers, and debris does not stick to it, it's easy to care for, dries quickly, and always looks tidy.

>>>>> I groom dogs all day, I don't want to come home and do MORE of it. :)<<<<<

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Lynn, Luna is gorgeous!
I have a coatie, love her, but won't have another unless I rescue again. Kacie is like a broom, bringing in all the debris from outside. I've had a month of clean(she's not really blowing coat and trees haven't been too messy)...it begins again now with fall approaching.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
you do have to come home and groom. maybe not everyday
but you have to do it and i'm sure you do. lol.
Well, technically, I come home and groom every day because my salon and my home are located on the same property. :)

But honestly, my own dogs are usually the dirtiest dogs there. My GSDs get bathed whenever the dirt and shedding starts to drive me nuts, so maybe a bath, blow-dry and brushing every 6-8 weeks. More often if someone's blowing coat. My Akbash Dog, the goat and poultry guardian, was an outside dog 24/7 and he got a bath once or twice a year (which he HATED).

But as much as I preach to everyone else to brush their dogs every day to reduce shedding and prevent mats... I might brush my dog once or twice a month. Seriously. Certain times of the year it gets so busy at the salon that I'm working 9 hours a day, six days a week, 8+ dog baths a day, all of it by myself, I literally cannot groom another dog!

That is why I wouldn't want a coatie... I'm afraid it would suffer from neglect, and that wouldn't be a very good advertisement.

It's as they say... the cobbler's son has no shoes. :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I guess I got lucky, lol. Berlins coat never attracts all that stuff to it.. Only thing is that he gets little "icicles" on his stomach hairs in the winter. His summer coat is way less fluffy and "long" than some long coats I've seen... But in winter his coat is thick.

I brush/comb him once a week (sometimes more if I have time) - not as much upkeep as I thought. No mats, knots, and the undercoat comes out. He does shed a ridiculous amount though. I was literally breathing hair for 3 months straight.

I didn't seek out a coatie, but now I definitely have a soft spot for them, and wouldn't mind if my next one was also coated :)

And the thing I have noticed, Berlin gets a lot of attention. Coaties are eye catchers for sure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
As they age, the coat gets longer. Kacie wasn't bad the first couple of years, but since she turned 3 I've had to trim her footfluffs and fuzzybutt fluff because she drags in mud, and anything else that can grab her.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I prefer coaties and actually sought one out when looking for a GSD. :)

The coat maintenance doesn't bother me, I enjoy brushing him and maintaining his coat... granted I live in the desert and rarely have issues with mud or a lot of debris. So far I haven't had any issues with his coat dragging more stuff in. Right now he's blowing coat for the first time and still not as much fur as my female normal stock coat GSD(RIP pretty girl) put out which was A LOT. My only issue are his butt fluffs which sometimes looks as if he's been electrocuted just POOF, which I could figure out how to tame them. :D

I dunno his coat hasn't been that much work for me to deal with but then again I have a poodle mix and I will never again want to deal with a poodle coat ever again so my LC GSD just doesn't seem that bad compared to him. For me personally I don't like the really tight coated GSD's but again it's all about personal preference!

Captains twin :)

Mount Laguna Hike by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Mount Laguna Hike by Carriesue82, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 33 Posts