German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having the worst aim ever, Bellamy will occasionally pee on one of his front paws. I mean, sometimes it's even a constant stream of piss onto his paw :angryfire: This wouldn't be such a huge deal, but he's a service dog, and nasty pee paws are obviously a big no-no for public access.
Are there any disinfecting wipes safe to use for his paws, or a safe wipe solution that I can make at home? He doesn't do it a lot and luckily it hasn't happened before taking a trip to the store or elsewhere, but I'll feel a lot better taking him out in public and having wipes on hand just in case he does it.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yes, that's true. Urine is sterile, except for any bacteria it may pick up from around the external urinary tract opening, which is why doctors ask humans to wipe themselves really well down there, then collect a midstream sample if they need to check you for a UTI.

However, it DOES smell, and will stain the fur. Doesn't he lift his leg to pee? How young was he when he was neutered?

I'm willing to bet he was neutered quite young, which is probably why this habit developed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Doesn't he lift his leg to pee? How young was he when he was neutered?

I'm willing to bet he was neutered quite young, which is probably why this habit developed.
Actually, my guy is a yr old, not neutered and is only sometimes lifting a leg. All it takes is deciding to pee and not moving a front foot/leg far enough forward! We just figure by the time we're done with the walk, his foot/leg will be dry. (shrug)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe that’s it. I’m pretty sure my intact adult male just has the worst aim possible. He will sniff around a good spot, taking forever to get a bead on exactly what he wants to cover, and then let loose at at least a 45 degree angle from what he’s trying to hit. Frequently he will miss a tree entirely. He gets his front legs all the time.

When he does soil his own paws he will immediately wash himself thoroughly. So in his case the paws aren’t what needs disinfecting.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Doesn't he lift his leg to pee? How young was he when he was neutered?

Actually, my guy is a yr old, not neutered and is only sometimes lifting a leg. All it takes is deciding to pee and not moving a front foot/leg far enough forward! We just figure by the time we're done with the walk, his foot/leg will be dry. (shrug)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yes, that's true. Urine is sterile, except for any bacteria it may pick up from around the external urinary tract opening, which is why doctors ask humans to wipe themselves really well down there, then collect a midstream sample if they need to check you for a UTI.

However, it DOES smell, and will stain the fur. Doesn't he lift his leg to pee? How young was he when he was neutered?

Hate to break it to you, but males can still pee on themselves even if they lift their leg to pee. Mine does.

OP: Baby wipes or grooming wipes are your best friend. There’s also a leave in conditioner called The Stuff that is supposed to repel urine.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts

Not necessarily. Our puppy raisers are asked to leash relieve our service dog prospects, and to do so away from trees, bushes, poles, etc. We don’t know which dogs will go into training or pulled for breeding, so the practice is standard for all dogs. Obviously our breeders are left intact and are leash relieved at the custodians discretion. That decision is made around 18 months. Much less than half ever develop the habit of lifting their legs even when given the opportunity.

Anyway.... to the OP. EarthBath makes pet specific wipes... but I’m sure most baby wipes are OK as well. Thanks for noticing and caring enough :)

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Um, just for the record I was taking care of an aussie this weekend who was neutered at age 2, and does lift his leg, and he still proceeded to pee all over one front foot. So I'm not going to be to quick to jump on OP about whether the dog was neutered or when...

And also, if you guys think dogs are bad, ask me what buck goats do in rut!!!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Also I just love Nature's Miracle Spring Waters wipes. I have not used them for pee feet but I have cleaned up poopy dog butts with them in a pinch and bonus they are awesome for getting your dog ready to work. A quick brushing and wipe down with these wipes and your dog looks shiny, smells nice, and loose hair from brushing removed by wipes. I use these as needed to get any SD public ready, they are great.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I can't picture how this happens. I'm sorta grossed out but sorta want to know.
It’s like my dog makes no effort to make sure his front feet are out of the way. I don’t really know how else to describe it. But he’ll position his back legs closely to his front legs, then lift his leg and pee on his own leg/foot. He’s always super offended after the fact. You’d think he would realize that he is causing this to happen, but nope.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
^ haha, same.
Not only is Tilden offended, but he’ll actually feel it, look down with a disgusted look on his face, but continue to pee. He’s a long coat... yuck! It’s fairly uncommon but frequent enough to gross me out. What also gets me... if he chooses to lift his leg (he pees both ways depending on the environment) he’ll clear his front legs/feet but his first step down (pee leg), is right into the puddle! Did I mention he’s a longcoat - with hobbit/grinch feet!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Awesome thread. The timing is impeccable. I was just wondering today if my pup is the only bad aimer after he peed on his front leg. He pees on his front paws from time to time. But sometimes like today, it'll get up pretty high on the leg. Then I have to wipe his whole leg down. I use several wet paper towels and wipe him down several times. In the summer I just use the hose to wash his legs/paws. My previous GSD never peed on himself, but he did step in his pee quite often and that was quite annoying. I washed his paws in a bucket quite a lot. Fun times. Good to know that I'm not the only owner with a dog that can pee very hard and/or have bad aim. Thanks for this. I had a good laugh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2.5yr old does this as well. We actually love to come up with random nicknames for him and PeePaw is one.

He never lifts and was neutered youngish - 8 months. We wanted to wait until a year or two but had to do it sooner because it was crucial for his health at the time.

However, I’m inclined to believe that it really doesn’t matter what age neutering happens with this topic. I spoke with one lady whose intact GSD didn’t start lifting until he was six years old. There’s still hope!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
What is leg lifting?
Sniff, sniff...
Gotta pee higher than the last guy that was here.

Some dogs just don’t care. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Valor is intact, 18 months old, huge. Occasionally he will still just stand there, chest out like a statue, and let it fly while he casually sniffs the air. As the saying goes...no you know whats are given.

I use babywipes on dog's feet and whatver needs a spot clean. I get the unscented natural kind for my kids so that is what the dog/s get too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts