German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has found food dishes that can be elevated as the puupy grows or that you have had great success with and would recommend. thank you!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I can't see any reason to elevate a puppy's dishes in the first place. I would only elevate an old dog's dishes if it became painful to bend over and then only enough so he was comfortable.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It has nothing to do with digestion. Go ahead and feed your puppy like most everyone else: in a dish on the floor.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh, I fell for the elevated feeding station too- Stosh wasn't to interested in food and I thought that might help. Turns out he was so afraid of the thing he could barely bring himself to get near it, and only to drink. So I put a flat pie plate on the floor and he's been happy ever since

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if it bothers you, train your pup to eat while laying down. Dont fall for the elevated bowl bit. Its only a scheme to get more money from you.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I only use elevated and all my dogs love them. It is the only kind I use it is more comfortable for larger dogs and was recommended by my vet. The store and feed ones can be adjusted as puppy grows. They are made by OurPets. You can get it at Tractor Supply or PetSmart. If you want fancier ones you can get those online. It is just about your preference for elevated or not. It actually helps my puppy from not scarfing her food.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I heard that the elevated food dishes can increase the risk of bloat because they can eat more faster and it goes down quicker.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I heard that the elevated food dishes can increase the risk of bloat because they can eat more faster and it goes down quicker.
Exactly.

Some causes are believed to be rapid eating, elevated food bowls, dry foods that contain citric acid as a preservative, dry foods that contain fat among the first four ingredients, insufficient pancreatic enzymes, dilution of gastric juices necessary for complete digestion by drinking too much water before or after eating, eating gas-producing foods, drinking too much water too quickly, heredity-especially having a first degree relative who has bloated, build & physical characteristics and disposition. In addition to the risk factors listed, many veterinarians believe that stress also causes bloat.

Read more: How an Elevated Dog Feeder Could Lead to Bloat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts