German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I really don't mean any offence by this, but if it was me, I'd be looking for a legit breed rescue to give the puppies to and let them find them homes using their connections and experience. Say good bye at 7wks and be done with it knowing its being handled by people who screen owners all the time and will be able to find homes easily for puppies.
I full heartedly agree with this. Yes they will spay and neuter then early - oh well... it’s not ideal to most, growth plate this and hormone that, but it’s not a death sentence either and it’s the best way to handle and prevent these types of breedings in the future. The arrangement may be more appealing if you offer to foster the pups until the homes are found and/or assist financially with any shots and wormings etc - but honestly, most rescues have a waiting list for puppies they just don’t have the resources and finances to handle full litters of this nature. I would not consider allowing them to help as putting the pups “in the system”.... if this is your first child, your world is about to change.... having multiple puppies in the house is an unnecessary strain - it’ll be easier to make the arrangements now so that you’re not forced into another decision later.

I really don't mean any offence by this, but if it was me, I'd be looking for a legit breed rescue to give the puppies to and let them find them homes using their connections and experience. Say good bye at 7wks and be done with it knowing its being handled by people who screen owners all the time and will be able to find homes easily for puppies.
Yes. A good breed rescue is super picky about where their dogs go. I was denied a dog (spayed female) because my fence was not high enough and I had a 12 year old intact male Whippet!
If you decide to go with the rescue, I would give them a heads -up way before the pups are of adoptable age. So you can focus on your human puppy.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I only needed to home 6 of 7 since we are keeping one, but I don’t think it’s going to come to that.

...since we are keeping one
Two dogs, a puppy, and a new born? I have no idea what your situation is, or what you can handle, but it must be said, I'm going to start praying for you...lol. :wink2:

Discussion starter · #25 ·
...since we are keeping one
Two dogs, a puppy, and a new born? I have no idea what your situation is, or what you can handle, but it must be said, I'm going to start praying for you...lol. /forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I know I can handle the dogs at least, lol. I’m worried I’m going to end up keeping this particular female though. She’s already a handful and only 6 weeks old.

I know I can handle the dogs at least, lol. I’m worried I’m going to end up keeping this particular female though. She’s already a handful and only 6 weeks old.
You should have no problems. A friend of mine has a toddler, just had a baby, works full time, has a second job, has four large breed dogs, 5 yrs, 2.5 yrs, 1.5 yrs and 6 months, shares duties with the baby as his wife works full time as well, and he is trying his hand at IPO and just put a BH on his dog. I have yet to hear him complain, he feels quite blessed and appreciative.

I get what you are saying, worrying about where these puppies end up. I thought about my male as a stud for a second; and then realized I didn’t want to worry about who the puppies ended up with. I had him neutered.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.