German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on the way home from grocery shopping I saw a hurt dog on the road. I pulled over, a bit past the dog and got out and starting waving oncoming traffic to the other lane. I was walking on the shoulder of the road and finally got about 15 feet from the dog, cars were moving over and I was just about to step out when a pick up come by super fast and just ran over the dog killing it. I started bawling in the road. I just couldn't believe it, right in front of me. I moved the dog off the road and went home and got my husband. We went back and picked up the dog and took it home. There was plenty of room for this guy to get over in the other lane, but I felt like he deliberately sped up and hit the dog. How could someone do that?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
That's horrible.

Keep your dogs safe in their fence, people, teach them nevah evah go out of the gate without a leash. My girl is young, we moved last spring to a busy street. She'd go dancing out of the yard with the children - NOOOOO!

·
Banned
56 Posts
Yesterday on the way home from grocery shopping I saw a hurt dog on the road. I pulled over, a bit past the dog and got out and starting waving oncoming traffic to the other lane. I was walking on the shoulder of the road and finally got about 15 feet from the dog, cars were moving over and I was just about to step out when a pick up come by super fast and just ran over the dog killing it. I started bawling in the road. I just couldn't believe it, right in front of me. I moved the dog off the road and went home and got my husband. We went back and picked up the dog and took it home. There was plenty of room for this guy to get over in the other lane, but I felt like he deliberately sped up and hit the dog. How could someone do that?
Because people are sick minded and are just evil with no heart, they never suffer any guilt either because they're terrible. I thank you so much though for attempting to save the dog, that's honestly terrible, I've met so many messed up people who purposely sped up while driving just to purposely run over a bird or squirrel and then they ask; "Did I get it, did I get it!" or gassing the car just to scare the crap out of someone's puppy... They act as if it's game to them... Let's just say those messed up people aren't my friends.

I'm sorry you had to witness that, that's terrible.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm so sorry, that must have been so traumatic. I can't even imagine, i would have freaked too. I hate to think he did it on purpose, people suck.

My daughter and nephew were on the side of the road the other day with a stalled car, they had to be on the traffic side of the car, putting gas in the car, people were doing 60mph and honking at them instead of trying to move to the other lane. My nephew almost got ran over and the tow truck driver, very close call for him too, we were all amazed at the idiots who just don't give a dam.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
While the pick up drive did not intend it, the dog was suffering and the suffering is now over. I know that sounds horrible, the poor dog could not move itself out of the road, it might not have made it anyway, and whatever we do to prolong the life might have prolonged the suffering as well.

I'm sorry, the poor dog, and a horrible thing to witness. The guy probably thought it was your dog, and that makes him even more disgusting. Or maybe it was just an idiot texting away, and if that is the case you are lucky the person did not swerve toward you to miss the dog. But the animal is dead and it won't suffer from irresponsible owners, or motorists anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That is just awful. I witnessed something similar with a family of geese. I know it is different but I felt awful. Geese are protected here, my first thought was to get the plates but he was going to fast and the poor bird was flipping around. The worse part was that all the babies were watching. I don't know if it was the mom or dad that got hit, but the surviving one was torn between going to the dying bird and staying with the babies. So of course I got out and complety stopped all traffic to at least get the goose out of the street so the rest of them wouldn't get killed. The surviving adult watched and must have sensed there was nothing that could be done and he/she gathered the babies and moved them away so they didn't have to see it. It looked so sad as it walked away from its partner it was just awful. I cried like a baby too. I believe and truly hope karma gets these people good.

·
Banned
850 Posts
That's horrible.

Keep your dogs safe in their fence, people, teach them nevah evah go out of the gate without a leash. My girl is young, we moved last spring to a busy street. She'd go dancing out of the yard with the children - NOOOOO!
How do you teach your dogs to not run in the street. Ive had problems before with my dogs wanting to chase fast moving cars.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
How do you teach your dogs to not run in the street. Ive had problems before with my dogs wanting to chase fast moving cars.
You keep them on lead. If you are not 100% certain that they will not go in the street, squirrel, horse, whatever, then keep them on lead. You can't take some things back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's just awful. I'm so sorry. I'd have cried like a baby, too.

Selzer is right, at LEAST it's not suffering anymore and thank goodness you weren't hurt by that crazy man/woman's driving in the process.

Your heart was in the right place ♡

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
If it's a car specific thing ... you correct the dog "HARD" for that behaviour ... then you work on training!

An E-Collar or a bucket of water and setting the dog up ... works out fine. :laugh2:

Back on point .. OP I'm so sorry, I feel your pain. That happened to me many years ago I was behind another car and saw a puppy running in the intersection! The light changed and the butt hole in front of me ran the puppy down!!! I pulled over and got the puppy out of the street but the puppy was gone!

That was 12 years ago and I still remember it ... :(

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
That would kill me too. I haven't witnessed anyone doing this deliberately. Today, a pail flew out of the truck in front of me, I had a semi on one side, and I knew in a split second that swerving not to hit it, would probably mean an accident at over 70mph. I just went over it and it hit hard under my car. But it didn't jolt me off course. If it was a dog, I would have probably done the same thing. And the people behind me would probably have been angry with me for running it down. But getting into a major pile-up would probably be more irresponsible and reckless.

puppy running down the street where people were stopped at an intersection, or where people were going around, is a different story.

Life is short, keep your pooches safe, don't let it be shorter than it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

Is it horrible for me to say I hope he runs into a brick wall and bursts into flames????

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Is it horrible for me to say I hope he runs into a brick wall and bursts into flames????
Yes. Thinking it is ok. Saying it is less so. Making up a little doll and putting it in a toy truck and dowsing it with gasoline, running it into a brick wall and throwing in a lighted match -- yeah probably should see someone about anger issues. >:)

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
I have seen people hit animals on purpose - I was walking back to get a turtle and a guy swerved to hit it on purpose - I still am angry 20 years later! And squirrels - and a co-worker ran over a chipmunk just because it was in the road and she was not going to stop or move for it......I never rode with her again - and that seriously damaged my relationship with her.....she said she did not care if it was a chipper, a cat or a dog - she would just run it over rather than risk trying to miss it and possibly wrecking her car....she is a very bad person I found out in many other ways too....

sorry for the dog.....I don't believe anyone hit it to save it suffering - lower chance than some jerk getting jollies out of killing it

:'( :'( :'(

Lee

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I swerved the other day to miss a bull snake. I thought I may have just caught it's tail, but wasn't sure so I pulled over to check and get it off the road if nothing else. It was aggressive and I couldn't find a stick, it didn't appear to be too injured if at all. As I looked around for something to use to move it another car came around the corner and hit it dead on. I'm not a huge snake fan, but I don't like seeing something vulnerable like that.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm sorry you had to witness that. :(

But you don't know that the driver of the pick up did it on purpose. Maybe their kid has been rushed to the hospital and was dying. Maybe they weren't paying attention or didn't feel safe swerving to avoid the dog. Or maybe they were a jerk.

Mourn for the pup, take care of yourself for witnessing something so traumatic, but don't let the driver take up too much of your headspace. It truly may have been an accident and if it wasn't you are letting the jerk win by letting him in your head like that.

My signif was a swerve on purpose to kill snakes on the road guy. He has changed. A few weeks ago he even stopped, put on his flashers, and waited for one to cross.

Just took a little education on why they are important and Uhhh threatening to have him neutered ;)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I killed a beagle on the road, and I think I am up to 9 deer. Also a rabbit -- it crunched that was pretty awful. And a kitten that was in my wheel well. That sucked too.

The beagle was bad too. It came out of the ditch and was under my tires before I had a chance to do anything. I called the cops and waited for them to locate the owners. But the owner said she was done for, and he loaded her on his piece of farm machinery and drove off.

I did save a snapping turtle and successfully got it out of harms way.

I nearly hit two horses, at night, one was a light color. I went door to door looking for the owners.

I found another beagle dragging a chain in the road, and returned it to its owners unharmed.

Sometimes someone is so focused on the human out there, that they miss the animal. I figure ya just do what you can and try not to be too upset about it. Nature is tough on animals too. It isn't fun to die of a festering wound from an unsuccessful attack either. It isn't fun to die of starvation, or from being a prey animal.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Well, ... I'd say no and I would like to have my "Puppy" killer in the passenger seat. :)

Fortunately for the cruel and the witless I am neither a "Dictator or a God." :laugh2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts