German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my shepherd's hips x-rayed today because he was limping and favoring his left leg. He is a year and a few months old and I've always suspected something was up with his back area. His hips would make popping noises and he would always "climb" onto the couch rather than hopping on like most normal dogs.

The doc said the right hip (the left side on the x-ray) looks to be slightly dysplatic and the left hip is very slightly flat on the head part. He concluded that he just has a sprain, since he said the knee ligament didn't feel torn and his hips don't look like they should be causing any pain. He gave me 2 weeks of Previcox for the pain, he is already walking around fine right now due to the rimadyl shot they gave him.

Can anyone give me any input as to how his hips look? If they are any cause for concern? Or am I overly worried? I can't stop googling hip x-ray photos and comparing them. The head of his right hip does look smaller than the left side. It just looks oddly shaped. Any input is helpful, thanks. Here is the top and side view. I don't think the side view reveals much though..

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I can see the right hip looking off, but overall they still look A LOT better than my shepherds hips.

Can your vet or did your vet send those in to a radiologist for a more expert reading?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I agree they should go to a radiologist for review but they look 100 times better than Kayos'!

The right hip seems to have a a bit of sublaxation but they really do not look bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts