German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got some news, but I'll give a bit of back story first, forgive me if I ramble. I got my 4 mth pup from a back yard breeder. No, I didn't know this driving to pick up my pup, I was mislead in the emails and phone calls as to the real situation. I didn't have to buy the pup when I got there and saw the conditions, but I couldn't leave him there.

My daughter had just left home on bad terms, I was emotional, and really needed to fill my empty nest. Now, Dude pulled me through a rough period, I took it hard when my daughter left, so I have no regrets on having him.

I had no delusions on taking this pup and having him become world champion this and that, I have no desire to breed. Just needed a new baby :).

I got his papers in the mail today and it seems the breeder mislead me on some other things as well. On his pedigree it shows both his sire and dam were registered in the same month and year, though their whelp dates are several years prior to the registration year. Red flag.

Now, Dude has been healthy so far, super smart and a ton of fun, but I still can't help being really concerned that there may be future health or temperment issues come up. I can't really believe anything the breeder told me other than he's black and male.

And I feel guilty for being disappointed when he has already given me so much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Martem, thanks for your encouraging words, I'm not disappointed in my pup, I'm disappointed that the breeder could be so misleading. Naive of me to want to think the best of people I know. I'm going to continue to love, play with, train, and veg on the couch with Dude the same as yesterday!

Leo, thanks for correcting me about the date thing, I just assumed it was a registration date. I don't know a thing about pedigrees. Now I know that the dogs were bred for the 1st time a couple of years before she said they were. So while not much of a redflag (I was afraid that the papers didn't belong to the dogs) she still misrepresented herself.

Anyways, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback, and Dude thanks you while he is chewing on my desk chair even though he knows its mine lol. This is a great community and I'm glad I found it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts