German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got some news, but I'll give a bit of back story first, forgive me if I ramble. I got my 4 mth pup from a back yard breeder. No, I didn't know this driving to pick up my pup, I was mislead in the emails and phone calls as to the real situation. I didn't have to buy the pup when I got there and saw the conditions, but I couldn't leave him there.

My daughter had just left home on bad terms, I was emotional, and really needed to fill my empty nest. Now, Dude pulled me through a rough period, I took it hard when my daughter left, so I have no regrets on having him.

I had no delusions on taking this pup and having him become world champion this and that, I have no desire to breed. Just needed a new baby :).

I got his papers in the mail today and it seems the breeder mislead me on some other things as well. On his pedigree it shows both his sire and dam were registered in the same month and year, though their whelp dates are several years prior to the registration year. Red flag.

Now, Dude has been healthy so far, super smart and a ton of fun, but I still can't help being really concerned that there may be future health or temperment issues come up. I can't really believe anything the breeder told me other than he's black and male.

And I feel guilty for being disappointed when he has already given me so much.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
BYB doesn't mean anything when it comes to health. Does it increase your chances? Sure...but its not a death sentence by any means.

I have a BYB dog. Neither parent had hips certified or was titled. My boy has a beautiful temperament. He has obedience titles and is currently training for the AKC Open level and also agility. He hasn't had any allergies, fear issues, or any of the "popular" problems you hear about on this forum. He's also OFA good hips and normal elbows (I checked for agility purposes).

You can't control the future. Even with a "perfectly bred" dog you don't know what kind of issues could come up. Plenty of great breeders end up having one or two HD dogs or allergic to this and that dogs. Its genetics...its a roll of the dice. Don't worry about it. Whatever happens happens.

The registering in the same month...doesn't matter. It just means that the breeder got both dogs at around the same time. A lot of breeders that import dogs do this and there are plenty of other reasons beyond importing that can cause both dogs to be AKC registered in the same month. I don't believe a whelping date being several years prior to registration is any type of red flag.

I don't get why you're feeling disappointed...you have a great dog. Love him like you would any other dog. You've got more than many people do on this forum...an AKC registered dog with a pedigree. Research the pedigree...see what comes up. Although my boy's parents weren't OFA or titled...there were plenty of grandparents and great grandparents that were. IF you're not seeing any problems currently...raise him like that...don't EXPECT problems to happen and the won't happen.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hmm... is the month and year in parenthesis next to their names? If that's the case, that isn't their whelping date, that is the date they were entered into the stud book. They are entered into the studbook after their first litter(s) is(are) registered. Their actual whelping date will have the month, day, and year, not just the month and year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't feel guilty, you're not disappointed in him after all, you're disappointed in yourself for falling for the breeder's bull and that's understandable, but it's happened and you can't change it. As for the pup, you have him at a young age so, his temperament will be largely shaped by you and the experiences you give him. If you are not planning to breed from him then, I wouldn't worry too much now about his breeding. Had you known about the breeder you would have walked away, but you didn't so you have what you have and maybe you're worrying too much.
As for his future health, I have a rescue dobe who didn't get a great start in life nutritionally and I sometimes wonder whether this will cause him problems in the future. All you can do for now is what I am doing, which is feed your dog the best you can afford, and keep him healthy. Also remember that there are no guarantees. I lost a dog to severe arthritis last year, he was only 10, was well bred and had the best of everything all his life. I felt very cheated when he had to be put to sleep because I felt he should have had another 4-5 years at least.
I'm rambling but I guess what I'm saying is that yes, you may have inadvertently made mistakes in choosing your pup, but there are no guarantees with any dog. He has clearly come to you at a time in your life when you needed him and there is no reason why he won't be your companion for many healthy years to come. Put your feelings about the breeder behind you and enjoy your baby :)

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Give ourself a break.
You are disappointed for having been misled, not because of your dog.
It's OK to be upset if someone lies to you. It has nothing to do with your dog and what he has brought to your life.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martem, thanks for your encouraging words, I'm not disappointed in my pup, I'm disappointed that the breeder could be so misleading. Naive of me to want to think the best of people I know. I'm going to continue to love, play with, train, and veg on the couch with Dude the same as yesterday!

Leo, thanks for correcting me about the date thing, I just assumed it was a registration date. I don't know a thing about pedigrees. Now I know that the dogs were bred for the 1st time a couple of years before she said they were. So while not much of a redflag (I was afraid that the papers didn't belong to the dogs) she still misrepresented herself.

Anyways, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Now, Dude has been healthy so far, super smart and a ton of fun, but I still can't help being really concerned that there may be future health or temperment issues come up. I can't really believe anything the breeder told me other than he's black and male.
THIS is what you focus on now. Worry about other things only once they present themselves. Remember, the maybes may never be! You will have wasted perfectly good energy worrying for no reason :)

And I feel guilty for being disappointed when he has already given me so much.
Trade the disappointment for the gratitude you know you deserve to feel. When you are feeling disappointed, flip a mental switch and refocus your thoughts on a moment when Dude made you feel fantastic!

We all live and learn. That's no reason to live a life with regret :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the positive feedback, and Dude thanks you while he is chewing on my desk chair even though he knows its mine lol. This is a great community and I'm glad I found it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try not to worry! Just remember he is already born, he is already with you, hes happy, and there is nothing you can do to change his background. You can only focus on the "now", not the past or future. Even if health issues arise in the future, he will still be happy and have a wonderful home. At least he found a family that is on top of taking care of him and will make sure to continue doing that if anything comes up :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
When we know better we do better and I'm betting the majority of us were uniformed when we got our first dog from a breeder.

No matter what, genetics makes breeding a bit of a crap shoot. Going with a responsible breeder helps put the odds more on our side. Plus I'd rather give my money to someone who's really working to do the best for the breed with experience and education, not just breeding for money or cute puppies or to show their kids the miracle of birth........

My first puppy was a yellow Lab from 2 friends who just wanted a litter and so bred their dogs. They didn't know anything about anything. But my Maggie Mae lived for 14 happy healthy years and I never regretted getting her. I just did a better job with my homework for my next puppy!

:)

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
The first dog I ever had was a stray. Don't even know if he came from a backyard or not.

Happy appeared to be half Irish Setter and half Golden Retriever.

To me, he was the most completely perfect dog that ever lived.

And I still think so, 50 years later.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
When we know better we do better and I'm betting the majority of us were uniformed when we got our first dog from a breeder.

No matter what, genetics makes breeding a bit of a crap shoot. Going with a responsible breeder helps put the odds more on our side. Plus I'd rather give my money to someone who's really working to do the best for the breed with experience and education, not just breeding for money or cute puppies or to show their kids the miracle of birth........

My first puppy was a yellow Lab from 2 friends who just wanted a litter and so bred their dogs. They didn't know anything about anything. But my Maggie Mae lived for 14 happy healthy years and I never regretted getting her. I just did a better job with my homework for my next puppy!

:)
:thumbup: Exactly

Jazzy is from a BYB, I love her to death but I went with a responsible breeder for my next and got Delgado. No need to feel guilty or worry about what may happen, just enjoy your dog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts