German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the pup started to understand what we do while sitting at the dinner table, eating. She will smell the food and she will either sit by the table and what's worse she'll start to jump to see what's on the table. Are there any techniques other than putting her in other room to teach her from stop doing it?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
What we did with our puppies was teach them to lay down on their pillows while we ate. It was really hard and took a long time, but basically by being persistent and consistent, they got it. Eventually we loosened the rules and they can move around as they please but they have to stay away from the table.

To get them to lie on the pillow, we said "On your pillow" and them had a treat ready for when they got on the pillow and were in a down position, they got the treat and release. Do that enough times so they learn it before trying it during dinner.

NEVER ever feed from the table or you will teach her to bother you during dinner. When we are finished with our dinner, the dogs get their dinner immediately as a reward for waiting (we never NOT give them dinner of course).

Surely others will have ideas as well.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Similar technique here- I taught the command 'place' and that's the rug in front of the kitchen sink. I also use 'settle' which means go lay down and be still but not in any specific place. I use it when we're at the vet's or my office, anywhere away from home. My husband and I eat dinner pretty late so the dogs are full by the time we eat and not so interested in our food.

·
Registered
636 Posts
^Same here about them having already eaten.

I taught Sobacca the command 'out'.
I taught him the command because I didn't like him being in the kitchen when someone was cooking or when I was eating there (how very rare that may be) -- he never begged or anything, I just didn't like it.
So I put a rug at the kitchen entrance until he learned the phrase 'out' and he learned that 'out' basically meant "Get out of the room now". I could be in any room now (in pretty much anybody's house) and say out and he'll go just outside of the door to the room I'm in and lay down; he has an invisible line.

He also knows 'go lay down', which means to go lay in a specific spot -- and he has two places he can go, generally whichever one is closer: his blanket in the living room or the first landing of the stairs.

Minna is in the process of learning 'out' -- it'll be a longer process to teach her...but she'll learn.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Panzer goes in his crate (which is in the living room, same room as we eat in) during dinner.
Thanks for the tips guys.

Regarding crate, do you lock him up? Bella most likely will not stay in it if I don't lock it, she'll get in but won't stay in for long.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I found that using the NILF meathod, my dogs don't beg. I suppose they know that if I intend on feeding/treating them I'll ask them to do a command. With out interaction from me, they know they won't get fed.

They do lay where they can see us 'at the ready' should I happen to need a good sit or good down. I never feed from the table.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would not recommend locking him in a crate. That does not effectively deal with the problem behavior. Follow the other advice on having him settle in a certain spot, it could be his crate, but I would say, keep it open. Work on standard obediance with 'downs' and long 'stays'. That will make it easier. You can tell the dog to lay down and stay while you eat. He will get the idea soon enough that your meal time is his down time.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I realized part of why my dogs are so good during our dinners, they have just come inside either from playing or from a long walk. They are pooped! That might help you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I did what Good Karma suggests: at meal time I have all three of my dogs go to their "place", which is their bed in the adjacent room. They can still see us, hear us, and certainly smell the food, but they've learned from consistency that a)they are not going to get any handouts at the table (ever), and b)they will get a cookie AFTER we get up from the table for staying in place. It does take patience and a lot of taking them back to their "place", but eventually they all got it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you should be able to eat wherever you
want, in any room you want without beoing bothered
by the dog.

you have to teach your dog boundaries. teach your dog
not to beg from the table or wherever you're eating.

teach your dog to "back up and down" or "go to your bed"
or stay away from your meal. teaching stay away
from your meal is a boundary issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts