German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My wife and I have a 10 month old German Shepherd that we have had since almost 9 weeks old and when we first brought her home until about 6 weeks ago, we could not feed her fast enough. She would know when it was time to eat and she would scarf it down, even with a slow feeder. She used to be on blue buffalo freedom from when we brought her home until 5 months old but we found out it was causing some runny poop so we changed to Victor Select NutraPro and she loved it at first. However, the past 1-2 months, she has completely lost her food drive and we practically have to force her to eat. Does anyone know what could be causing the sudden change in her behavior? We do not feed her ‘table food’ and only treat with training.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey everyone! My wife and I have a 10 month old German Shepherd that we have had since almost 9 weeks old and when we first brought her home until about 6 weeks ago, we could not feed her fast enough. She would know when it was time to eat and she would scarf it down, even with a slow feeder. She used to be on blue buffalo freedom from when we brought her home until 5 months old but we found out it was causing some runny poop so we changed to Victor Select NutraPro and she loved it at first. However, the past 1-2 months, she has completely lost her food drive and we practically have to force her to eat. Does anyone know what could be causing the sudden change in her behavior? We do not feed her ‘table food’ and only treat with training.
I have 2 dogs on victor. Neither of them are what you’d call “chow hounds”. They both maintain a healthy weight. I don’t worry about it. They eat when they’re ready. If your dog is losing weight or you’re legitimately concerned, I’d contact a vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like to use ground turkey and put about a half of cup in the microwave for about 35 seconds so that there is still some slightly raw turkey for the enzymes. Sometimes I'l add greens, green beans, peas and carrots, canned salmon, eggs, plain yogurt, but mostly turkey. I wonder how many times a day and how much the OP is feeding his dog. I think people tend to overfeed their dogs. I have a friend who owns a crematory and he says the vast majority of dogs he cremates are overweight to morbidly obese.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We feed her twice a day, 2 cups per meal and she looks healthy to us, about 60 pounds but very small framed like her mom. We will definitely try adding in some real food like ground turkey or maybe some chicken!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Make sure you aren't buying too large of a bag of food. A large bag can go stale or rancid. I supplement my dogs' kibble with raw chicken legs or quarters. Some days I may feed all raw, some days all kibble, and sometimes both.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What Nscullin said. It's easy to overthink feeding. Your dog is slowing down in growth. The requirement for food should slow as well unless she is super active. 4 cups a day for a 60 lb small framed female isn't an unusually small amount. Also consider if she is intact that she may be getting ready to go into a heat cycle. Hormonal changes often alter their appetite. I have nothing against additives but don't start them if you don't want to keep doing it forever. Once she gets used to the toppers she will always want them and may not eat if you don't have goodies mixed in.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Yeah @Springbrz, finally the voice of reason! OP your dog at 10 months old is slowing growth, hence the lessening appetite. Be very careful starting something (especially with regard to "dressing" up the food), unless you're ready and willing to continue that forever!

To be honest I do save meat scraps and dice them up small to enhance the dogs' food; but only intermittently, more like a special treat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts