German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTERESTING!!!

(The following provided by Susan Thixton)

"Information provided in a FDA FOIA request raises some questions about the Agency’s investigation of DCM in dogs.

More than 1,000 pages of documents were provided in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request regarding FDA’s investigation of grain-free pet food potentially linked to dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs. Documents provided ranged from a slide presentation FDA provided industry, to test results of pet foods, to email communications between the trade association that represents Big Pet Food (Pet Food Institute) and FDA.

The FDA released to the public their first alert about their investigation into grain-free pet foods on July 12, 2018. FDA alerted the Pet Food Institute (PFI) to this announcement on the same day as evidence by this response from PFI to FDA (PFI thanking FDA for the “heads-up”):

What is concerning about the above email from Pet Food Institute to FDA are these sentences: “I was under the impression that our webinar next week would inform…pet food makers’ understanding of the issue, perhaps before any public messaging was issued. So this is a little concerning. I imagine the public reaction might be quite severe and impact products that aren’t implicated by FDA.”

The PFI wanted to know FDA’s information FIRST – before pet owners (we can assume to be prepared to handle consumer concerns). FDA was giving a private webinar update to PFI members the following week (evidenced below). And it appears that PFI wanted to steer the FDA in a direction that called attention to ONLY certain brands of pet foods and away from other pet foods; “public reaction might be quite severe and impact products that aren’t implicated by FDA.”

At the same time of FDA’s first public announcement regarding their investigation of DCM cases in dogs – the same time PFI wanted to make sure certain brands were NOT “implicated by FDA” – the Agency provided a special webinar for members of the Pet Food Institute. The email below is from Pet Food Institute to FDA regarding the webinar (to be held later that day):"

Read the whole article here: FDA told Industry a different DCM story than what they told Pet Owners

·
Premium Member
11,218 Posts
I have a non GSD friend who is obsessively "into" this debate and harangues me regularly regarding food. I quit feeding a food I had used for over 10 years with no problems due to her constant tirades! She used the same food and has a 15 + year old Weim who ate it all her life. There is a 5000 member strong group on FB - and interestingly - the foods that are being pushed because they are "designed with nutritional studies" are Hills and Purina foods, Iams and maybe Eukenuba.....the skeptic in me wonders ....the foods we rejected for massive amounts of fillers and corn are now being touted as the better choices??? I tried ONE bag of Purina Savor due to this - horrible horrible results in amount and desirablilty of waste to the dogs.....who had never eaten waste before found it just as appetizing on the back end as the front! I did see that the ingredient list for the food I was using for years had changed and peas went from somewhere near the end to 3rd....and that was a concern as per the info being discussed. One of my R puppy people locally is a vet and is on board with the "blocked taurine uptake" information (her clinic recommends, and she feeds, Royal Canin) but I am still rather skeptical - both about what is "best" and the actual cause of the incidence of DCM>

Lee

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
People can read the heartbreaking stories here about dogs with DCM...many have died!

My guess is that feeding a food that contains corn is the least of their worries!

·
Registered
101 Posts
People can read the heartbreaking stories here about dogs with DCM...many have died!

My guess is that feeding a food that contains corn is the least of their worries!

Yes, but what we don't know is why. Was it hereditary? Were there other factors? It's hard to draw conclusions from a very limited study.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yes, but what we don't know is why. Was it hereditary? Were there other factors? It's hard to draw conclusions from a very limited study.
We're not talking about genetic DCM, this is strictly about diet associated DCM. What we know so far is enough for me to say away from these foods, why take the chance?

Join the group on FB that I posted above, there is a lady that just added her story and video about her GSD "Sarge" Unit 7, pretty hard to watch ?

Investigation into Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Dogs - Clinical trial at Tufts

·
Registered
547 Posts
We're not talking about genetic DCM, this is strictly about diet associated DCM. What we know so far is enough for me to say away from these foods, why take the chance?

Join the group on FB that I posted above, there is a lady that just added her story and video about her GSD "Sarge" Unit 7, pretty hard to watch ?

Investigation into Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Dogs - Clinical trial at Tufts
I would actually argue against joining said Facebook group where everyone shares sad stories and videos about their dogs that died. It's like a sad fest and just feeds panic.

Do you have any sources that aren't from Tufts? Any sizable studies about the matter?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I would actually argue against joining said Facebook group where everyone shares sad stories and videos about their dogs that died. It's like a sad fest and just feeds panic.

Do you have any sources that aren't from Tufts? Any sizable studies about the matter?
Here is the great news! This is still a "FREE" country for now and you don't have to join if you don't want to learn more about this!

"Sad fest that feeds panic" :rolleyes:

What's your problem with Tufts? If you want to look at studies, look them up yourself.

I'm guessing you're one of those fake experts on this board that has no education in veterinary medicine but is just soooo much smarter than any veterinarian will ever be...GIVE ME A BREAK!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here is the great news! This is still a "FREE" country for now and you don't have to join if you don't want to learn more about this!
I can learn more about this without joining a Facebook group. That's my point.

"Sad fest that feeds panic" :rolleyes:
As you make an emotional response followed by a sad video after that.

What's your problem with Tufts? If you want to look at studies, look them up yourself.
I don't have a problem with Tufts. I asked for other sources, because all that was posted was Tufts. Are there other studies and sources you've read? Genuinely curious.

I'm guessing you're one of those fake experts on this board that has no education in veterinary medicine but is just soooo much smarter than any veterinarian will ever be...GIVE ME A BREAK!
So, asking for more references and information means I'm smarter than any vet? Awesome!

Seriously, would you pull the bees nest out of your head and calm down. There was no need to get all in a tizzy.

Do you see why I'm critical of "sad fest" groups that post and tell sad stories to each other? They make you over-emotional and trigger-happy towards those critical of your position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts