German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We take Jackson to "daycare" anytime we both have to work (we work at the same grocery store with schedules that change daily). By daycare I mean my girlfriends mothers house, which has a variety of animals including two other dogs so when he can't be with us he still has plenty of interaction. A couple weeks ago everyone was over there (excluding myself) having a little BBQ, and while he was out playing with everyone he dug a little bit of a hole up against the concrete patio slab. Nobody noticed him doing it and he didn't dig very deep so it was not really an issue. But yesterday when I went to pick him up there was a bit of a larger hole kind of dug right smack in the middle of the yard. I personally have never seen him digging so I can't really do anything about it, and my girlfriend and her sisters and mom don't have the heart to be stern with him. We are looking to be moving into a house with a yard in May or June and I REALLY don't want digging to become a habit of his for obvious reasons (aesthetics, safety, etc). Anybody whose had issues with digging have any advice for me? I'd like to nip this in the bud right away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's about what I figured. I don't ever leave him alone in the yard when I'm over there, and I don't think the girls do either I just think they don't really see a big problem with him digging a little hole. It's more funny/cute to them.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Anytime we've noticed little holes in the yard, obviously I can't yell but I make a fuss "oh no, no digging, no digging" as I rake up the spot. It was a daily ritual for a while, but now the only time I see any signs of digging is mole/vole holes. Lakota grew out of it, she'll be 3 in January.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Digging is a sign of boredom as well. Jackson may have a lot of playmates while there, but what structured exercise, both physical and mental is he getting?

As the others said, to stop it, you will have to be there to catch him in the act.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts