German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old puppy was diagnosed with GI issues a few months ago. I took him because he always had runny stools or upset stomach. I have tried several different foods and its becoming so draining because its tiring coming home to the poop smell all the time because he got diarrhea. Ive tried grain, grain free, limited ingredient, the pure pumpkin treatment, you name it. Right now he's on Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural (transitioned from Taste of the Wild) and im adding a GNC pets digestive health complex pill to every meal and its still not getting better. He's pooping like twice to every meal. He'll poop inside the cage then go outside and poop again. It's frustrating because its preventing us from making good ground on his potty training. The only food he had solid stools on was the Hills prescription ID but I read that wasn't a good long term food, not to mention its like $200 for a 30 lb bag (slight exaggeration included). Please help?! What can I do? I just want him to be normalllllll!!!

I will consider raw diet but I prefer kibble because its convenience of course. Any/all suggestions welcome

·
Registered
538 Posts
What digestive issues has your dog been diagnosed with. I feel your pain.

Our GSD Jake had severe digestive issues from the age of 3 – 10 months old. For a period of time we were practically at the vets office every week. We tried several food switches … grain free, different protein sources and the only success we had was with the MediCal Gastrointestinal Canned food … which was running is $75/ week to feed. We were told numerous times that he had Colitis and/or Inflammatory Bowel. After much research, I finally asked our vet to run the blood tests for EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) – They check TLi, Folate and B12 (they need to fast for 12 hours before this test). While the results came back within normal ranges and our vet said they were fine, the forum http://www.epi4dogs.com was very helpful and several people pointed out that his Folate levels were high and to talk to our vet about SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and getting him put on the antibiotic Tylan. Within 3 days of getting him on the Tylan, we started to see improvements. He was on the Tylan for almost 2 months and he was finally doing better and gaining weight.

At the same time we were treating him for the SIBO, allergies reared the ugly head. At the time they were thought to be seasonal allergies, but as the fall proceeded and we entered winter and the allergies weren’t improving, we moved onto trying to determine if it was a food allergy. At the end of the day, we consulted with a Canine nutritionist and she recommended a cooked homemade diet. So Jake has been on the home cooked diet for over 3 months now and his digestive and allergy issues are gone.

I would recommend having a discussion with your vet about EPI and SIBO – if you go to http://www.epi4dogs.com you can read up on both conditions and see if your dog has any of the other symptoms. Good luck and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Izver he was diagnosed with conservative colitis in Nov. I havent seen much improvement since then. Im going to check out the epi site now, thanks

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our dog had colitis. If you want raw and convenience then try a dehydrated raw, just add water and wait 5 minutes. We use The Honest Kitchen and a frozen prepared raw from Nature's Variety. There are probably other brands out there. THK we have shipped from the company as it is not available locally. The frozen we can get at a natural pet food store, and Whole Foods market sells another brand. Feeding this kind of food is what cured our dog.

Your vet will probably discourage this diet, our 1st vet did. I went back to our cat vet and told her about the diet, she knew better not to say anything as I told her we tried almost every brand and combination of dry foods out there.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Definitely check out that EPI site.

I would look for a food that didn't have chicken - even though I think the Hill's does (but probably not in huge amounts). It's just one of those things that weird belly GSDs don't seem to do well on.

Good article: Colitis in Dogs - Page 4

Have you done a 24 hour fast with him? I know that is sometimes necessary to help reset them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts