German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

If all goes well we will be expecting a new puppy coming home soon, a male long coat GSD
I have been trying to figure out what puppy food we will start out with
I dont think we can make the financial and time investment to go raw diet now, but maybe 1-2 years down the road we may want to transition to a full raw diet

I have been looking at Fromm's large breed puppy
Only thing is our breeder's contract recommends a NOT grain free kibble (which makes sense at this point) but recommends specifically meeting WSAVA guidelines which is only Iams, Eukanuba, Hills Science Diet, Royal Canin and Purina - i've gone through the ingredients for all these and I'm not really a huge fan. What do you recommend?

Here are our top 3 choices at this time:
Fromm Large Breed Puppy about $55/30 lb bag
Wellness Complete Health Large Breed Puppy about $60/30 lb bag
Purina Pro Plan Development Large Breed Puppy about $45/30 lb bag

This meeting WSAVA guidelines is tripping me up if Purina is really the one one that meets that 'criteria'

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fromm has both grain free large breed puppy AND grain inclusive large breed puppy. My belief is that it is a better food than the other brands you mentioned.

My vet recommended Royal Canin and my dog was unbelievably itchy on it. It is loaded with corn. Vets like what vets recommend and sell (science diet); They are not necessarily experts on nutrition. WSAVA doesn't mean much.

Many on this board feed Fromm with great results.
Fromm Gold is the grain inclusive kibble. Fromm Heartland is the grain free.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
A friend, dog trainer and owner of the center I take Belle and Duke too, got me started using Purina One Large Breed Puppy. I feed the dry and also cans.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Fromm has both grain free large breed puppy AND grain inclusive large breed puppy. My belief is that it is a better food than the other brands you mentioned.

My vet recommended Royal Canin and my dog was unbelievably itchy on it. It is loaded with corn. Vets like what vets recommend and sell (science diet); They are not necessarily experts on nutrition. WSAVA doesn't mean much.

Many on this board feed Fromm with great results.
Fromm Gold is the grain inclusive kibble. Fromm Heartland is the grain free.
Tell that to the people who lost their dogs to DCM!!!

Here is the Facebook group, you can tell them what fools they are for not feeding grain-free & Boutique diets...smh. Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) in Dogs

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Tell that to the people who lost their dogs to DCM!!!

Here is the Facebook group, you can tell them what fools they are for not feeding grain-free & Boutique diets...smh. Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) in Dogs
So I am guessing you missed the recent report that found no link to grain free diets? Also might want to check who is profiting from all of this.
Either way, @LandosMommy is your breeders contract requiring you to feed certain foods? Because I would have and issue with that. What if the food becomes unavailable or what if your dog does poorly on it?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
So I am guessing you missed the recent report that found no link to grain free diets? Also might want to check who is profiting from all of this.
Either way, @LandosMommy is your breeders contract requiring you to feed certain foods? Because I would have and issue with that. What if the food becomes unavailable or what if your dog does poorly on it?
Guess again, I haven't missed anything! :rolleyes: You might want to check who's profiting from all of this.

Many dogs are dead and dying and I'm interested to find out what is causing this, not interested in the spin constantly coming from this message board! Many of these dogs improved after a diet change alone!

I challenge anybody who knows so much to go over to the FB group and read some of these heartbreaking stories. If you still want to feed grain-free & Boutique diets after that, knock yourself out!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Tell them what? I am well aware of DCM. I simply pointed out that Fromm makes grain inclusive food also.
This ➡ "My belief is that it is a better food than the other brands you mentioned. Many on this board feed Fromm with great results. "

You just conveniently left out the part about DCM!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My pups eat Purina Pro Plan or Fromms Gold Large Breed Puppy. The breeders both used Pro Plan.
We supplement with raw meat-- mostly chicken, turkey, sirloin.

One pup will eat either. The other seems to slightly prefer the taste of Pro Plan.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Guess again, I haven't missed anything! :rolleyes: You might want to check who's profiting from all of this.

Many dogs are dead and dying and I'm interested to find out what is causing this, not interested in the spin constantly coming from this message board! Many of these dogs improved after a diet change alone!

I challenge anybody who knows so much to go over to the FB group and read some of these heartbreaking stories. If you still want to feed grain-free & Boutique diets after that, knock yourself out!

Sweetie you need to take your agenda to your own thread. You aren't helping the OP at all. Advising someone that there is a possible issue that they may want to investigate is one thing. But this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Sweetie you need to take your agenda to your own thread. You aren't helping the OP at all. Advising someone that there is a possible issue that they may want to investigate is one thing. But this is ridiculous.
I'm not your Sweetie! I don't have an agenda but many people on this board have one, especially when it comes to diet.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Wasn't talking about you!
@Jorski she apparently has an issue with me.
Sweetie was a polite form of address. Given I am an older woman from a rural background.
You have added nothing to this thread, given no suggestions, probably scared the OP off and generally behaved like a fanatic.
Not sure why or what agenda you think anyone has. Have a great day though.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Okay you guys. Dog food is a hot topic.

You all would be horrified to learn that I’ve been feeding Scarlet Pro Plan for quite a while now. I switched her from Victor. Once the formula change happened, her coat went south. She refuses to eat Fromms. My handler said just put her on Pro Plan, so I did. This dog’s coat has never (ever) been this nice, and she has tons of energy, and just generally looks better.

Over the years, I’ve fed raw, and high end kibble like Orijen, and everything in between. Point is, feed what works for your dog.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We tried Agis on Fromm grain-inclusive (due to DCM). He became less and less enthusiastic and getting him to eat even 2 meals a day at 5 months old was nigh-impossible.

While on vacation we ran out of food (whoops) and went into town - the store didn't have Fromm's, so we got Acana, which we'd fed before. Agis loved it - like, LOVED. That was 4 months ago and he still loves it. We supplement powdered taurine to be safe.

As our vets (big grain proponents) said, sometimes, the best food is the one they'll eat.

Luc was fed grain-free (kibble or raw) from around 4.5 yrs old to 15.5 yrs old when we let him go. 11 years isn't a bad run.

Reactions: Sabis mom
1 - 20 of 29 Posts