German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for beginners, heads up, I'm brand spankin' new to here and I'll hopefully be on here shortly. Background; I don't have a GSD as of right now (Apartments won't allow it here as of right now but that should be changing shortly, or atleast apartments will be changing haha) and I've got a law enforcement background (Law Enforcement Classes, Explorers, so on since I'm 18 and trying to go into the profession)

but never the less, we recently had two of our K9 handler's from the sheriff's office come in and they talked about their dogs. They happened to mention that they change collars on calls and the way the dog acts on such collar. I.E. If they're chasing someone, he'll put on a certain collar. If it's around children he'll put on an electric collar? and for demonstrations it's a giant leash/collar. And I was wondering if there's any chance I could train a dog into the same mind set. (One collar is for going crazy, doing what the dog wants, playful, for home. And the other for acting professionally/toned down in mood, won't go crazy.)

Please keep it nice, and kind. :) Thank you, guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
the collar can become a clue as to what is coming up next. It is only one part of the puzzle. The same thing can go for harnesses. One can be for practicing protection work, one for trailing /tracking, one for getting seat belted into the car.

Some of us just have so much dog gear....phew!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And to answer your question, yes you can train a GSD to understand that a particular collar signifies certain types of behavior, but I'm not sure you'd gain anything by making that too fine grained. Many service dogs are trained to know that when they're wearing a certain harness they're on duty, when the harness comes off they're off duty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts