German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a wire crate since I think the plastic one is too hot for the summer.

I know there are a lot of brands out on the market and some are built better than others. What should I be looking for in making a decision? Plastic bottoms vs. metal, etc.? I plan on going to PetSmart and Walmart for comparisons today.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I got an i crate from petsmart that bent in a week. I have had good luck with precision. (I think thats the names).

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that happened to me, I would have returned it ASAP. It's meant to be used by a dog, so if a dog damaged it in anyway, it would be history.

I am trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible. Found one by Petsmate at Walmart for $73.00 and then there was one at PetSmart Bargain Hound brand for $100+ but couldn't see how it was put together.

Does anybody have recommendations? There are a lot of manufacturers out there and they look the same by looking at pictures. Does one brand use a stronger wire than other?

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
well, there are tons of better brands out there, but like you said, you want to keep this inexpensive. my first option would be to check craigslist and see if you can find a higher quality one that is used (midwest, precision, etc). if not, i'd go with icrate over bargain hound. i guess it depends on what you're using it for. if its for a dog that is already crate trained or for a small puppy, i think its plenty durable. the icrate also comes with a divider which is handy for puppies since you dont want them to have too much room (for housebreaking, etc). petsmart will return anything! you can also order from petsmart.com and you're able to return the item at the store as long as they carry the same item (i got my icrate for 30 cheaper and shipping was free). it does have one bend at the bottom, but not enough that i notice or need to return it. my dog also stopped trying to escape after day 2. the two way access is also convenient because it allows placement flexibility.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Both of our dogs do extremely well in midwest life stages crates
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753745

there is more versions than this one i think

anyways, we love ours and they do come with a plastic pan. When Kelso was real small he did crack the pan, but it was a one time thing and since then they both have been fine, the pans have lasted.

I like them cause they fold up easily for travel, and they like to see out of them when we drive somewhere. Easy to keep clean as well.
The pan just slides right out if you need to wash it. And great for training as it "grows" with the dog with the divider.

They have never bent at all. Kelso (80 lbs) has the biggest one I think which is definately enough room. Allie (65 lbs) has a medium sized one that fits her just right

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are house training an older male will they try to pee through the wire crates? I have a dog that needs house training and want to know if I need to get him a different crate? Sorry if I am taking this over but its relevant in that I have a wire crate and I don't know if it will be strong enough for him now that you all are bringing up issues with brand names. I don't know what kind mine is!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts