German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the untrained eye (me), certain B/T puppies look just like bi-color puppies. Is there a for sure way of telling the difference? One minute I'm thinking Gunner is bi-color and the next I'm thinking he's B/T. Here are pics of him. Opinions?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Looks to be black and tan. One thing to look for on bicolors is penciling (little black lines) on the toes and tar heels (black on the backs of the back feet). He actually kind of has tarheels but I'm not seeing penciling.

Your pup will get more and more tan as he gets older and mature to a black and tan, probably with a saddle, but possibly a blanket. He looks blanket now, but it's amazing how much black and tans change as they get older. If you search the archives I think there are a couple threads where we all posted pictures of our black and tans as they got older. Some of them don't look like the same dogs.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I agree he will be a b/t. A bi will have more black down his legs at this age.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Amaruq A bi will have more black down his legs at this age.
And less tan on its head. This puppy already has tan around his ears.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
This should help...

ElsaRose at 7 weeks:

And as an adult (blk/tan w/saddle):

Elsa has a very tan head though, so be interesting how that pans out for your pup!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
those were over a year ago. when he was 1 year, he has lightened a little but is still a blanket.

All of Arwen and Dubya's pups are saddles -- they had the tan on the face and in the ears:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts