German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My GSD is nearly 8 months old. Last weekend we had a chance to bring him to a show where his litter mate was also attending. There were just the two dogs in the litter. I have fed RAW from about 4 months and his brother has been on kibble. The size difference was quite evident between them. My boy was bigger and still has growing to do. I was wondering if this is genetics or is it the fact that he is on RAW that has made him so big. When I say big I dont mean fat or overweight. Just a big dog in general. I last had him weighed at 6 months and he was 30kg then.

Regards
Joe

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
They can vary in size just like human siblings, who are usually on same diet :) Diet may play in to it a bit too I suppose. I have had dogs have big spurts at anywhere from 7 months all the way to 2 years old.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I’m agreeing with genetics. My girl was noticeably the largest in her litter at puppyhood. I don’t know if she still is, but I could ask the breeder as she kept one of her sisters. There’s always inconsistencies, and sometimes it can depend on when the pup was born too, or how big the litter was, etc.

I mean, I just look at my siblings and have zero doubt it’s genetics. I’m 5’3”, my brother is 6’, and my sister is 5’7”. My sister and I look almost identical, but I’m assumed as the younger one despite being 9 years older, lol. And every time my brother and I go out, people think we’re dating, or worse, married if we have his son with us.

Granted, a healthier diet promotes healthier growth. Just doesn’t necessarily mean larger. Otherwise all those raw fed JRT’s would be taking over the world.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mostly genetics. Mine is far bigger than his 4 other littermates. He is also male while 3 of the other 4 are females. At 5 months, he is almost a thin 60 lbs while his sisters are all in the 40s. From what I've learned, mine eats a lot more and has a heartier appetite than the other 3. (I don't know anything about the other male.) So while genetics play a huge part, I think minimally food plays a small part too. Your dog is eating raw which means almost all protein, while the littermate is eating kibble. Kibble averages anywhere from 20% to 40% protein depending on the brand. Maybe if the littermate was fed the exact same thing, it would be closer in size...smaller still, but much closer.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The breeder of one of my dogs recently had a litter where one of the females was only 22 inches, and a male pup topped out at an oversized 27 inches!

So, yeah, genetics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts