Czech & DDR:
Heavier bone
Bigger heads
Broader chests
Usually shorter than W. German
Darker colors
Harder temperaments

How far off am I
? And can you all list more differences for me?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I'm not so sure about the calmer temperaments either.

My Czech dog is pretty *handler* soft and I have heard from a few that is not so uncommon -- he is pretty hard if it is not a correction from me.

I think it is pretty accepted that Eastern lines tend to be a bit sharper though --which is not the same as hardness.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Bluewolf

West German Working Lines:
Lighter Bone <span style="color: #FF0000"> - Usually </span>
Slightly longer legs <span style="color: #FF0000"> - I suppose </span>
Lighter color <span style="color: #FF0000"> - Not necessarily. DDR lines tend to be dark in color with very few that are lighter in color. West German lines don't tend to be lighter in color, they just have more variety and tend to run the entire color gammut</span>
Stronger tendency toward B&T saddle markings <span style="color: #FF0000"> - Well, in the sense that there aren't many B&T DDR dogs, yes. But B&T saddle is probably the least common of all the colors in West German working lines.</span>
Calmer Temperament than most E. German lines <span style="color: #FF0000"> - No. West German lines tend to be higher drive, and DDR dogs a bit more laid back. </span>

Czech & DDR:
Heavier bone<span style="color: #FF0000"> - Yes </span>
Bigger heads <span style="color: #FF0000"> - Yes </span>
Broader chests <span style="color: #FF0000"> - Yes </span>
Usually shorter than W. German<span style="color: #FF0000"> - Just more stocky built in general. </span>
Darker colors <span style="color: #FF0000"> - Yes </span>
Harder temperaments<span style="color: #FF0000"> - No. They tend to be lower prey/higher defense and sharper than West German lines, but not harder. Many DDR dogs are actually more on the soft side and they can be very handler sensitive. </span>

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
ok, i guess there are exceptions to every rule, my ddr female is high in drive in every sense of the word. she is shorter than a west german female would be, stockier and blockier, and very densly built, yes! but her head is not what you would call overly big, or bigger than a west german female. laid back, she is not!
i really don't think you can catagorize each line on whether they have more drive or less drive. i think you have to base it on the individual or the particular breeding line.
i am sure chris has had more experience with both lines, but i am just giving an example of my individual ddr dog. which is obviously not catagorized the norm for ddr lines.

debbie

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Absolutely there are many dogs who don't fit the molds. While the stereotypes are based in truth, they often get exaggerated. Therein being the problem with stereotypes.

The differences in many of the lines are diminishing as the lines are being crossed and changed through breeding. The DDR has been gone for more than 20 years, so even dogs of "pure DDR" heritage are often more mainstream in looks and temperament and less unique than they used to be when they were behind the Iron Curtain.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you know i have a 7 month old boy. he's black&red, west German. he's nice looking. when we're out people are always complimenting him. East German, West German, ummmm!!!! he's 70 pounds at 7 months old, roach back. i think all of them are nice. East, West, North or South, what do you like. i'm a novice to all of this but i do have an exceptional dog. he's from a great line. nothing but Schutzhund on both sides. now my boy is just a pet but he's being trained professionally. i think all of them are great. especially when they're from a good breeder. when it comes to my champ he's just one of the best. " you gotta luv dem Sheps ".

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
again, i will break the mold here. my last 3 ddr dogs male and female have been high energy drive, and not the least bit low keyed.
my experience with the new age DDR dog is definitely far from sterio type, but what chris said makes sense. crossing lines, etc.

i can see the defense drive in the DDR lines is promanant, not sure if the original DDR lines were overly reactive, but i guess you could catagorize overactive with the defense part of it. or maybe crossing lines brings out more of the reactiveness,

debbie

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadyou know i have a 7 month old boy. he's black&red, west German. he's nice looking. when we're out people are always complimenting him. East German, West German, ummmm!!!! he's 70 pounds at 7 months old, roach back. i think all of them are nice. East, West, North or South, what do you like. i'm a novice to all of this but i do have an exceptional dog. he's from a great line. nothing but Schutzhund on both sides. now my boy is just a pet but he's being trained professionally. i think all of them are great. especially when they're from a good breeder. when it comes to my champ he's just one of the best. " you gotta luv dem Sheps ".
Your dog sounds like he is a west german showlines dog, so not really part of the discussion comparing dogs from workinglines. Don't think anyone is saying of the workinglines types, which are better or worse - just general trends of the lines.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Another thing too, I have heard a lot of Czech lines are being bred for sport as opposed to work, so I have heard that you have that delineation too. I think I have heard that about one of the dogs close up in my own dogs lineage , Grim zps.

Not doing bitework, I have not pushed my Czech dog into defense but he has a very high threshold**- nothing seems to threaten him (but then nothing really *has* threatened him) though he is alert and watchful, so I don't know how he would react if really pushed. I was told that he was worked in defense and did not back down but I have not seen it with my own eyes so I don't know-it is hard for me to imagine him in a real fight since he is so handler soft.

One thing I do like and don't know if is a generality. None of the Czech dogs I have met seem to be dog aggressive. I have heard that some of the West German Working lines do bring in dog aggression. (And I have one of those snarky little bitches - love her to death but - oy veh! you have to keep on top of her. )

**and I think one of the generalities is a low threshold in some of the Czech dogs, no?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Quote:**and I think one of the generalities is a low threshold in some of the Czech dogs, no?
For defense, yes, but like everything else it is a generalization. I have met Czech dogs that have high thresholds for defense and low for prey too. I use to train with a zPS bitch that was excellent at SchH, but also a PPD. She was a cool dog.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The Czech dogs like all others are going through transformation because of money. There are Czech breeders that are moving to breeding for sport, and there are Czech breeders that still want a strong working dog first. The sport breeders are adding more German/Belgium blood to increase drive/grips that are essential for top sport scores. The working breeders are maintaining high aggression/defense to continue for police/military/presonal protection. So you really have to read a Czech pedigree with knowledge of the lines of at least three generations to see the genealities become realities.JMO

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Can I ask a question in this thread?....ok, is my dog west German working lines? I know she is working lines as opposed to show, I just don't know which, geographically speaking, or if she is a mix.

Ped
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/401054.html

Most recent picture (two days ago)

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Sire's side is west german working lines. Dam side, her father goes back to Lord which is DDR (east german), her dam goes back to west german working lines and old showlines.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Thank you! So she's a mix, hehe, not that it matters since our "work" is just agility, rally, and obedience. Her nerves are too weak for SchH, but she can be a pretty intense dog!

What are "old show lines"?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts