German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One has an insert, and one does not, so the prongs either go 2 directions or one

One way:

vs, two way (has insert):

I was reading an old thread and someone was claiming that prongs with the inserts pinch the throat more, here is the thread --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/160767-herm-sprenger-black-plated-k9-vehicle-inserts-2.html

Do you guys find a difference between if they go two-way or one-way?
This is not supposed to be a discussion about using prongs or not, just for general knowledge about the design differences.
Does one give a harsher correction, a more even correction?
Just curious on the designs is all

·
Registered
245 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in the pinching between the two, but I like the one with the center insert because, unlike the single direction, it doesn't rotate as much on my guy's very plush neck.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
I do not like the first one with that release.
The second kind is more break proof, and will sit on the neck better.
I would not buy anything other than Herm Sprenger.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Ditto for the HS brand. I've seen some prong collars in pet stores where the prong tips are just chopped off, not nicely blunt and smooth like they should be. And I've had my HS for over 15 years and it still looks brand new. Mine is like the top one, only without the quick release.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are both herm springer (photos off elitek9.com), my bad, I didn't mean to include one with a release for comparison :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The second one can be refigured to look just like the first one- saw a step by step in a thread here- so I would go with the second and if you dont like it change it to be like the first one (you remove the plate then reverse the prongs, I think you lose one prong in the process)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I am the one who claimed it pinched the throat more, and I stand by my claim. Even still- I'd recommend the two way version and decide for yourself. You can take out the insert and put the prongs all the same direction. In other words, you can make a "one way" out of the "two way" version.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I am with mycobraracr on both counts. Actually I own both kinds (I have four different prong collars, three different brands, one is a quick release). They work the same whether they all face one direction or not. Personally I don't like the newer one that goes both ways because my dog doesn't need the same amount of links on both sides for it to fit, and I'm kind of OCD about things looking perfect so it annoys me, lol. I've used a quick release prong for YEARS and have never had it come apart at the quick release. I've had other HS prongs pop apart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The old style with the prongs that all faced the same way is the Ultra which has been discontinued, the centre plate design is the Ultra Plus and if you really wanted to you can convert it back to the old Ultra style very easily.

Prong collars don't 'pinch', it's impossible to get the links close enough together to 'pinch' so one version doesn't have any more 'pinch' than the other. The ultra plus simply has a more efficient pivot point to contract around making it more evenly distributed than the old Ultra style.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts