German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know if thete is a difference between a shock and e-collar. Like, will they achieve the same results for me which is stopping unwanted behaviors such as chasing other people and jumping on the fence?

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
the name Shock collar is used by people who don't like them. E-collar is the name used by people who do. If you want to use one I recommend you find an excellent trainer. Face to face is best. Larry Krohn wrote a very good book about it. When he trains people he will have them practice on him so that he knows they understand the concept.

https://www.amazon.com/Larry-Krohn/e/B072DX113F?ref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with @car2ner. Larry Krohn also does give great advice. I do think a lot of people associate shock collars with things like bark collars. More commonly e-collars are used in training as an accountability tool. The stimulation on an e-collar can be paired with a vocal command/correction to reinforce what you want done or have the dog stop a bad behavior. Its not a one dimensional tool. Some e-collars also have noises as an option alongside the electric stimulation. If you have ever felt an e-collar on your hand it actually takes quite a bit for you to even feel it or get uncomfortable. If you want to use an E collar correctly then I suggest you reach out to a professional to assist you in person or do some serious research so you dont end up doing the opposite of what you want to achieve. I personally have used one with great success.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you. I just wasn't sure if there was a difference because shock sound more cruel, but it is just static. I will definitely do some more research.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts