German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my dogs Purina One Lamb and Rice, because they have sensitive stomachs and have solid poops with this food. Today I went to Tractor Supply with the intention of finding them a dog food that was affordable to us, and healthier for them. I had a very difficult time choosing between 4Health Lamb and Rice, and Diamond Lamb and Rice. The ingredients in both were almost identical. The Diamond was a couple bucks cheaper. Now I am wondering if there is a difference because the only thing I noticed was that the first ingredient in 4Health is Lamb, and then Lamb meal. Diamond has Lamb Meal as the first ingredient. Did I miss something or are they just about the same?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Diamond Lamb and Rice:
Lamb meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, rice bran, dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

4Health Lamb and Rice:

Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, millet, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

4Health is 21% protein, 12% fat
Diamond is 23% protein, 14% fat.

As ClearCreek said, they are made by the same company but they're obviously not exactly the same. I don't feed Diamond products anymore, but if I did and had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the Diamond over the 4Health because of the higher protein content.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I go with the 4health over the regular Diamond, I find the Diamond Naturals to be more comparable to 4health but higher in cost. I like that the grains in 4health are of a higher whole grain quality than those used in the diamond. Whole grain brown rice and oatmeal vs ground rice and cracked pearled barley.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Millet is another grain. They both have cracked pearled barley, but the place in the ingredient list is very different. Ingredients are listed in order of largest to smallest amounts.

A meat meal means the water is already rendered out. Lamb with the water content still in it is going to be much smaller percentage after the water is removed, so you can pretty much ignore the regular lamb in the 4health as its not going to be in the top 3. That leaves whole grain rice vs ground rice as the second highest ingredient, and oatmeal vs cracked pearled barley as the third highest ingredient.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Funny that all these products come from the same manufacturer....
BUT...I think the Costco Brand dog food is better than both Diamond & 4Health.
Perhaps you could even look into that food.....and save even a couple more dollars???
FWIW.....perhaps, check the ingredient list.....I don't have a bag handy...or I would.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Kirkland Ingredients: Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, rice bran, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), dried beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Very comparable. However I like 4Health a little better if it was ingredients alone. Since Kirkland is cheaper though I'd go with it over Diamond and 4Health if I had access.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure it matters, but in the Kirklands that sure looks like a high amount of starch bcs of all the rice and then it also has potatoes.

I just found out that the manufacturer of Diamond and I believe that they also make 4Health had a huge recall a few years ago, something about a toxin causing liver failure in dogs and many dogs died. Scary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another good food that has a pretty good price tag is Whole Earth Farms by Merrick. I have had Ozzy on it for a month and he has been doing really well with it. You can get 35 lbs at Petco for $40. Here are the ingredients:

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 24.0% Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 12.0% Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.0% Moisture (Not More Than) 11.0% Calorie Content: 3495 kcal/kg (calculated) –One pound provides 1587 kcal of metabolizable energy (calculated). One cup (100 grams) provides 352 calories (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method)

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oat Meal, Pearled Barley, Ground Rice,Ground Millet, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E) Duck, Buffalo, White Fish, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Salmon Oil (a natural source of Omega-3, Docosahexaenoic Acid-DHA)*, Organic Alfalfa Sun-cured ground, Yeast Culture, Tomato Pomace Dried , Dried Egg,Organic Sunflower Seed Ground, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Blueberry Dried, Cranberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract,Inulin (from Chicory Root), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Marigold Dried, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei,Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin, Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I believe it all boils down to the "best" economic value for the quality of product.
There are MANY better food choices on the market today in comparison to any of the previous listed.
But in the "price range" of $22-$29 per 40lb bag & the accessibility....very few will have better quality ingredients.
JMO

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I just found out that the manufacturer of Diamond and I believe that they also make 4Health had a huge recall a few years ago, something about a toxin causing liver failure in dogs and many dogs died. Scary.
One of the reasons a lot of people have switched away from it.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Here's my view on recalls. Many animal food companies had problems during that time. Many different companies were responsible for killing animals due to tainted products. They fixed the problem.

Peter Pan Peanut Butter recalled all their peanut butter a couple of years ago. They fixed the problem and put it back on the market. It sits on top of my microwave.

If we stop buying from every company that ever had a recall, we would have nothing to eat and nothing to drive.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Here's my view on recalls. Many animal food companies had problems during that time. Many different companies were responsible for killing animals due to tainted products. They fixed the problem.

Peter Pan Peanut Butter recalled all their peanut butter a couple of years ago. They fixed the problem and put it back on the market. It sits on top of my microwave.

If we stop buying from every company that ever had a recall, we would have nothing to eat and nothing to drive.
Very true. I certainly don't judge people who choose to feed Diamond. I switched off of it because my dogs were getting diarrhea every time I got a new bag-- the batch consistency was too far off.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
We switched Sierra from Purina One to 4Health. The first bag went fine. At the second bag, she had gas so bad it would drive you from the room so we switched her back to Purina One. I think it's really important to feed what works for the dog. Yes, you want a higher quality food but if your dog is doing well on a medium grade food then keep with it.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only value brand that performs well in my opinion is Pro Pac
Do you feed your dogs Pro Pac? I was looking at that food also at Tractor Supply. If you do feed it, do your dogs get gas, or diarrhea/soft poops? How long have you been using it?

Any Pro Pac feeders or who have fed this in the past please tell me your opinion about this food.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Do you feed your dogs Pro Pac? I was looking at that food also at Tractor Supply. If you do feed it, do your dogs get gas, or diarrhea/soft poops? How long have you been using it?

Any Pro Pac feeders or who have fed this in the past please tell me your opinion about this food.
I don't belive you're going to find Pro Pac at TSC, might check some other feed stores. I wasn't able to find it at all here in North TX but if you go to their website you can find if there are places near you that sell it.

Right now I'm feeding Precise, which is about a buck a pound.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't belive you're going to find Pro Pac at TSC, might check some other feed stores. I wasn't able to find it at all here in North TX but if you go to their website you can find if there are places near you that sell it.

Right now I'm feeding Precise, which is about a buck a pound.
They have Pro Pac at the Tractor Supply near my house. I was just looking at it yesterday. They had a stack of $2 off per bag coupons next to it to. Do you think that food is better than Diamond?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts