German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just curious would you guys expect a good breeder to give you a path or reccomend some books and dvds that would apply to the best training method for their bloodline of dogs?

why i say this is it seems certian training methods go better with some dogs then they do with others

like would someone train a akc american shepherd pup the same they would train a working czech pup?

I have gotten a dog his cgc in the past but i imagine each good breeder would have their own training and sets of rules to follow for their pups

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
I think the same training principles apply but not every one trains the same way. For the first 2 1/2 years I trained Jax strictly with a prong collar. What I have is a dog that only listens when she is forced too. So I found a new trainer and just love her methods. It's fair, it's motivating for Jax, and it's fun. Look for a positive based trainer and you can't go wrong.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
A good trainer will adopt their training approach to the individual dog that they have in front of them. All good trainers that I have seen/trained under use some degree of positive reinforcement (praise, a toy or treats or all three) and the best ones also use some form/type of "correction" to let the dog know when they are doing something that they shouldn't.

I don't think that the true fanatical "positive only" approach works with some dogs - my current dog being one of them. He is a very pushy self confident dog and needs to know quickly when his behavior is not acceptable.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I think training varies from session to session as well. You may be positive based for so long and then a little pressure is applied.
As far as training in different venues, the breeder can help but it is up to the handler to figure out what best methods work for them.
My pups breeder knew I was going to do SchH with him, so gave me several links and book titles to read before even bringing him home...helped the wait go by a bit faster.

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
A good trainer will adopt their training approach to the individual dog that they have in front of them. All good trainers that I have seen/trained under use some degree of positive reinforcement (praise, a toy or treats or all three) and the best ones also use some form/type of "correction" to let the dog know when they are doing something that they shouldn't.

I don't think that the true fanatical "positive only" approach works with some dogs - my current dog being one of them. He is a very pushy self confident dog and needs to know quickly when his behavior is not acceptable.
Not sure if part if this is in response to my post. If so, I didn't say "positive only" . I said positive based. Yes, there is a time and place for corrections, prong collars, e-collars. But the training should be a good balance based on positive reinforcement. Some dogs do great with just praise. Our youngest boxer does. My GSD needs more motivation than just a pat on the head but compulsion only training, is not the way to go at all.

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
Not sure if part if this is in response to my post. If so, I didn't say "positive only" . I said positive based.
Doesn't matter - you can't even mention the word positive without him bringing up "positive only" trainers, even if none of the people responding on the thread actually ARE positive only. Now apparently all those fictitious "positive only" people are actually fanatical "positive only" trainers. :poke:

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
MILIF: Not to be confused with MILF? :D

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Not sure if part if this is in response to my post. If so, I didn't say "positive only" . I said positive based. Yes, there is a time and place for corrections, prong collars, e-collars. But the training should be a good balance based on positive reinforcement. Some dogs do great with just praise. Our youngest boxer does. My GSD needs more motivation than just a pat on the head but compulsion only training, is not the way to go at all.
My post was not about what you said at all, just a thought about my experience with different trainers I have trained under and their methods and a number of GSD's that I have owned. If you noticed, I also said that a good trainer will use different approaches for different dogs. It appears that you would agree with that, yes?

I also mentioned my current dog and how he reacts - that of course had nothing to do with what you said, either - just my experince with a very hard dog.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Doesn't matter - you can't even mention the word positive without him bringing up "positive only" trainers, even if none of the people responding on the thread actually ARE positive only. Now apparently all those fictitious "positive only" people are actually fanatical "positive only" trainers. :poke:
Might want to try to actually read my posts before you get in a frenzy about what I wrote!

What I wrote was "I don't think that the true fanatical "positive only" approach works with some dogs - my current dog being one of them. He is a very pushy self confident dog and needs to know quickly when his behavior is not acceptable.".

Would you disagree that there are some folks who are fanatical about positive only?

I was writing about my own personal experience with some of them with my own dog. Are you upset about that also?

If you are, then I am sorry that what I wrote about my experience with training my own dog got you so upset.

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
Might want to try to actually read my posts before you get in a frenzy about what I wrote!

What I wrote was "I don't think that the true fanatical "positive only" approach works with some dogs - my current dog being one of them. He is a very pushy self confident dog and needs to know quickly when his behavior is not acceptable.".

Would you disagree that there are some folks who are fanatical about positive only?

I was writing about my own personal experience with some of them with my own dog. Are you upset about that also?

If you are, then I am sorry that what I wrote about my experience with training my own dog got you so upset.
Frenzy? Upset? Really? :thinking: I did read your post. But apparently you didn't read mine. Either that or you don't know that this guy: :poke: means that I was joking around. :) I just thought it was funny that you felt the need to bring up (again) "positive only" trainers (a recurring theme/rant of yours whenever anyone so much as mentions postive training methods), even though nobody posting on this thread, and actually very, very, very few people on this board could accurately be described that way. Heck, one of our most "positive" training fans, a moderator who is a huge proponent of clicker training, uses prong collars and e-collars.

But wait - beyond even those pesky "positive only" trainers (who are very scarce on this board), we now have fanatical "positive only" trainers to fear. Run for the hills! :poke: <------- (joking around again :D)

Obviously, I'm easily amused. :cool:

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Frenzy? Upset? Really? :thinking: I did read your post. But apparently you didn't read mine. Either that or you don't know that this guy: :poke: means that I was joking around. :) I just thought it was funny that you felt the need to bring up (again) "positive only" trainers (a recurring theme/rant of yours whenever anyone so much as mentions postive training methods), even though nobody posting on this thread, and actually very, very, very few people on this board could accurately be described that way. Heck, one of our most "positive" training fans, a moderator who is a huge proponent of clicker training, uses prong collars and e-collars.

But wait - beyond even those pesky "positive only" trainers (who are very scarce on this board), we now have fanatical "positive only" trainers to fear. Run for the hills! :poke: <------- (joking around again :D)Obviously, I'm easily amused. :cool:
Evidently!

And good for you!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
dog training is dog training. Be consistent, have good timing and be fair and you can train any dog to do anything.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Just curious would you guys expect a good breeder to give you a path or reccomend some books and dvds that would apply to the best training method for their bloodline of dogs?
why i say this is it seems certian training methods go better with some dogs then they do with others
Personal protection dogs are in a class all by themselves so maybe the breeders do have certain guidelines they provide. Not a clue.

A breeder might suggest a training method or a path to follow based on your future plans for the dog, or their own experiences, but the temperament of the dog is going to dictate what works best, along with the handling skills and patience of the owner. Every dog is different, even when they're from the same bloodlines. (just like people!)

I have gotten a dog his cgc in the past but i imagine each good breeder would have their own training and sets of rules to follow for their pups
Unless the breeder is also the new pups trainer it would be hard to reinforce training rules. I think a good breeder who believes really strongly in certain training methods might just weed out the perspective puppy buyers who give an indication that they're going to be doing something the breeder was opposed to.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Within lines puppies are different.

Handlers are all different.

What works for me, may not work for say Codmaster even if it is the same dog.

It has nothing to do with being fanatical or positive only or whatever.

Training is a mixture of knowing your pup, and working out what gets results.

Consider an individual hander. Their first dog, Dog 1, they make all kinds of mistakes on, and are shoddy at best in managing the dog. Dog 2, they commit to doing a better job on, and do, with good results. Dog 3, they apply methods used on Dog 2, and find it doesn't work the same. Is it because time has made changes in the handler between dog 2 and dog 3? Or is it just that the dog is a different being.

Trying to smoosh a square peg into a round hole doesn't work.

Many of us do preach postive training methods. Positive training methods WILL work with any dog given the handler is consistant and patient. And with Dog C, it may take a whole lot longer than if you resort to a more compulsive method.

I think there is less danger of someone messing up the positive approach so badly that the dog suffers serious damage from it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i agree positive training is best and if it works for you then u are lucky

id love to train a dog using positive ONLY training i am not sure it is reasonable or possible with a german shepherd but it is very very appealing, who enjoys yelling at or yanking your dogs prong?

correct me if i am wrong but would a soft dog be good for positive only traning?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts