German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GSD is 16 months old been having problems with diet first he is a very picky eater. Lately he is eating well weighs a little under 70lbs eats anywhere between 41/2 to 5 cups a day. He was eating mostly raw then he ate some turkey raw and developed diarrhea. Got him checked for parasites all was well got him back to being well but no longer on raw, then gave him some bone broth and he went back to diarrhea. Vet suggested royal canine low fat prescription got him on that with fortiflora also would give him a little over a pound of chicken breast boiled, he was doing great again and the last two days he again has diarrhea. This is a bit of a concern for me he is though very active eats well and very very playful. Tonight gave him a little pepto bismal on a recommendation. Any suggestions any thoughts on what is happening. He was great eater until he got bravecto at around 4 months for demodex. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Jtt and WELCOME! :greet:
Just a few thoughts:

"Fat" is a good thing for dogs....they need it, but a dog who has gut problems do not typically do well with fat until their problem is addressed.

Was he ever tested for EPI?

Has Pancreatic Enzymes (to help him assimilate the food) ever been recommended by your vet?

He was eating mostly raw then he ate some turkey raw and developed diarrhea. Was the turkey skin fed as well? What brand was the turkey?

Got him checked for parasites Was he tested for protozoa parasites - Giardia or Coccidia as well? or just worms?
"Giardia can be detected with an in-house SNAP ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test, which is highly effective in detecting Giardia, or a fecal IFA (immunofluorescence assay) test. The latter test is usually done at an outside lab and results may take a couple of days.

For suspected infections of Coccidia that do not show on a flotation test, your veterinarian may request a PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) assay, which is a reliable but more expensive procedure." WDJ

then gave him some bone broth If homemade, was the fat removed? If not homemade what brand was used?

Vet suggested royal canine low fat prescription: I would not personally feed this ..but.. that is another discussion.

fed that with fortiflora: Canine Fortiflora by Purina: Ingredients: Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. B-4582.
Animal Digest: “This ingredient is determined by the FDA to possibly contain euthanized animals.” fda.gov

I would use one of the following "human grade" probiotic/digestion products (made for dogs):
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)
Gut Sensehttps://peterdobias.com/products/gutsensen
Digest All Plus: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/supplements/digestion/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

also would give him a little over a pound of chicken breast boiled, should be boiled without skin and fat should be rinsed off thoroughly before feeding. NO cooked bones.

There could be a possibility of "Chicken" sensitivity! The RC also contains chicken. Possible sensitivity to anything "feathered"???

He was great eater until he got bravecto at around 4 months for demodex.
The FDA is working with manufacturers of isoxazoline products (Bravecto, Nextgard, Simparica, Credelio) to include new label information to highlight neurologic events because these events were seen consistently across the isoxazoline class of products." https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm620934.htm

Moms :)

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Hi Jtt and WELCOME! :greet:
Just a few thoughts:

"Fat" is a good thing for dogs....they need it, but a dog who has gut problems do not typically do well with fat until their problem is addressed.

Was he ever tested for EPI?

Has Pancreatic Enzymes (to help him assimilate the food) ever been recommended by your vet?

He was eating mostly raw then he ate some turkey raw and developed diarrhea. Was the turkey skin fed as well? What brand was the turkey?

Got him checked for parasites Was he tested for protozoa parasites - Giardia or Coccidia as well? or just worms?
"Giardia can be detected with an in-house SNAP ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test, which is highly effective in detecting Giardia, or a fecal IFA (immunofluorescence assay) test. The latter test is usually done at an outside lab and results may take a couple of days.

For suspected infections of Coccidia that do not show on a flotation test, your veterinarian may request a PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) assay, which is a reliable but more expensive procedure." WDJ

then gave him some bone broth If homemade, was the fat removed? If not homemade what brand was used?

Vet suggested royal canine low fat prescription: I would not personally feed this ..but.. that is another discussion.

fed that with fortiflora: Canine Fortiflora by Purina: Ingredients: Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. B-4582.
Animal Digest: “This ingredient is determined by the FDA to possibly contain euthanized animals.” fda.gov

I would use one of the following "human grade" probiotic/digestion products (made for dogs):
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)
Gut Sensehttps://peterdobias.com/products/gutsensen
Digest All Plus: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/supplements/digestion/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

also would give him a little over a pound of chicken breast boiled, should be boiled without skin and fat should be rinsed off thoroughly before feeding. NO cooked bones.

There could be a possibility of "Chicken" sensitivity! The RC also contains chicken. Possible sensitivity to anything "feathered"???

He was great eater until he got bravecto at around 4 months for demodex.
The FDA is working with manufacturers of isoxazoline products (Bravecto, Nextgard, Simparica, Credelio) to include new label information to highlight neurologic events because these events were seen consistently across the isoxazoline class of products." https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm620934.htm

Moms :)
Here is all the information you need but I just wanted to ask. Have you just tried feeding him one kibble for a month or 2 without any chicken anything. You sound like you are trying hard to do the right thing so I ask that you heed the advice given and research everything yourself.

Also from what I read your boy may be allergic to CHICKEN. Allergies can come @ any age I believe.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
It sounds like you are constantly changing his diet and its possible his system never has time to adjust to one diet. Also, do not give plain boiled chicken as an addition or it will cause diarrhea. Plain boiled chicken does not have bone so the calcium cant balance out the protein and firm up the stools. You're basically drastically increasing the protein content without increasing the minerals, carbs or fats. Find one food, stick with it for a while. If you're feeding raw make sure you have enough bone content.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do you prefer to feed raw over kibble? Just curious.
My suggestion would be to quit the Bravecto, get a Seresto collar instead, and maybe a steady diet for a while will help him naturally resist mange.

Also, do you free feed or have a certain feeding period for your dog?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did you feed anything different for the past two days? What did the vet think was wrong that he needed the low fat Royal Canin? Was he worried about pancreatitis? Or SIBO? Since the dog is on a prescription food I would ask the vet what to do next. Feeding that much chicken along with the RC might be too much but also offset what the vet might be attempting to do. But regardless I would check with the vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts