German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nika has a healthy appitite, so there is nothing wrong there. I am pretty sure she will keep eating as long as I keep putting it down.

I recently transitioned her from Purina One for large breed puppies to Nutro Natural for large breed puppies. I heard the Nutro is WAY better for the dogs than the Purina.

The issue is; I misjudged how much of the Purina One I had left, and only had enough for 4 meals of transitioning the pup over to the Nutro. This was obviously not enough as her stool is now soft and frequent.

For now, I have only been feeding her a little at a time hoping that way it wont tear up her stomach. Should I buy more Purina One to finish transistioning her over to the Nutro or just wait a couple of days to see if she evens out. Ifbuy the Purina One, I will have a bunch of it left over, aqnd frankly, I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. But if I have to, I will.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would just switch, but Nutro isn't much better, IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nutro Natural is about the same quality as Pro Plan. They both contain menadione, the SYNTHETIC form of Vitamin K that has been know to cause kidney and liver problems. They both contain corn gluten, the protein part of the corn and a BY-PRODUCT of the cornstarch industry. It is used by most of the lower quality foods to boost the protein percentage listed on the bag with PLANT protein which is almost undigestable for a dog, but it is much cheaper than meat protein. They both contain wheat and soy, along with corn, the three most common allergens. They both use grain particles as opposed to the whole grains used by the better foods. They both use generic fats "animal fat" and "poultry fat" rather than specific fats used by the better foods. They both use beet pulp as a fiber as in most of the lower quality foods. There are many better foods than either of these for about the same price: Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Castor & Pollux, Merrick, Taste of the Wild, Canidae and Solid Gold.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When Shadow came home we transitioned her from Eukaneuba to Wellness Super5Mix LB Puppy. The breeder only gave us a small amount of the Eukaneuba and we did have to purchase a small bag to last thru the transition. It took alittle over 2 weeks to fully switch her from one to the other. At the very end she would pick out the Wellness and leave the other behind in the bowl. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts