German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just got female GSD (4 mths old), i want her to be healthy and provide her with the best nutrition, so can someone tell me what would a healthy meal would be like, and how the eating schedule would look like?
thank you

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
What did your breeder tell you? They should have provided this information when you got your pup.

At 4 months, depending on size, you may be feeding three meals a day and about 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of food (also depends on the quality of the food.) You also need to be evaluating the stool. If loose, they are getting too much food and you need to cut back a little bit. If they act like they are starving and stool is good, you might need to increase it a bit.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
157 Posts
Puppies tend to eat more than adult dogs, at 4 months you should be feeding about 5-6% of your pups body weight, preferably cut into 3 meals a day. Once at 6 months you can cut down a little, also if your dog isn't super active. I believe it was at about 8 months I switched to just 4% and 2 meals a day, and then 3% and 2 meals a day at 12 months. The best way to know is monitoring your dogs weight and poop.

I also agree with the comment above, you should check with your breeder to see how and what they were feeding your pup prior to you purchasing.

·
Registered
32,902 Posts
I don't feed puppies homemade raw. I feed either commercial raw or kibble. I'm not playing with nutrition with a growing puppy, especially a large breed. I feed 3 meals per day and amount depends on the body condition of the puppy. Some need more, some need less. I've never found doing a percentage of a theoretical adult weight to be very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts