German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m new to the forum and recently got a beautiful shepherd girl in January. She is 14 weeks and we have her eating raw as she started out on that from the breeder. I firmly believe in all of the benefits of raw feeding. However, she has yet to have a solid and firm stool.

She’s on K9 Kraving (which the breeder started her on). Then I tried Stella & Chewys, Primal, and a custom blend made from my raw pet food store which supposedly has less vegetables. From what I was told you can switch between brands and different proteins for variety as long as it is raw.

However, the stool has not improved to that magical “raw” poop I have heard so much about.

What do you recommend? Switch to kibble? Any other raw brands I should try with success?

I am not limited by having multiple dogs. She’s our only furry family member and I am committed to feeding her the best possible diet. Just not sure how to do it!! Any help or experience here would be so appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums. I am not sure if you noticed, but there is a section specifically for raw fed puppies... I’m moving your thread there now, you might find it helpful to browse through the posts there (as well as the general raw diet section) while you await replies.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Has she been checked out medically by your Vet for things like parasites? Have you spoken to your breeder about this? Is she eating anything else, ie treats or table scraps?

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
All are good foods. I think a vet check for parasites is in order. And contact your breeder to see if any other puppies are having issues

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd bet on her having some parasites also. Sometimes going ahead and worming her despite what the fecal tests say.
Good raw diet shouldn't cause loose stools.
Is she drinking dirty water anywhere? Eating anything outside?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had that issue with one my dogs after being on raw for about 3-4 months. Added kibble into their diet and instantly better. Raw does not work for all dogs. I don't feed straight raw anymore but do feed whole fruits and veggies as well as slightly cooked meat or a high quality pre-made dog meat/fruits & veggies mixture (cooked) mixed in with my dogs food.

My pups stomachs cant handle pure raw and sill get the benefits of it when mixed in or used as a topper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts